Ptt pfc serial yoke build

sellener777

Ptt pfc serial yoke build

Post by sellener777 »

Could someone described me how I would go about building a push to talk switch myself for a serial yolk. If I buy an aircraft grade pushed talk Velcro strap on...... Do I just cut the cord splice it to a USB plug it in and expect it to work?

Thx
Keith Smith

Re: Ptt pfc serial yoke build

Post by Keith Smith »

That would not work. It's not just a matter of changing the plug.

Talk to PFC, they've already built a device using a small microprocessor which acts as a USB HID device and triggers the keypress of your choice (which you can then map to the contact ATC feature in xplane). They build the device specifically for people with PFC serial yokes that can't be remapped to any other feature.

They take a Aircraft Spruce PTT, chop off the chord, splice in a USB board and also wire in the microprocessor.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Will assume this is X-plane.

Your USB idea won't work. Too simple. But I can suggest a low tech DIY solution to your problem. What are you planning to use for throttle quadrant? If for example you said a Saitek Three Lever Pro Throttle Quadrant, then consider there are (3) extra switches on the front. AND there are switches in the levers themselves that engage when the handle is brought back below a certain point. What if one of the unused switches were disconnected and the wires extended to your yoke? Since under X-plane it's possible to assign ANY switch to ANY function, then this extended switch only has to be "mapped" to the PTT function.

You don't even have to take the Throttle Quadrant apart to test it to ensure that it works. Just pick an unused switch and map it to PPT. Then confirm that the switch actually works as intended. Then when you extend the wires to the Yoke, you will know the switch will still function as intended.

OBTW, this low tech method could be used regardless of who makes the product. If the product has the needed electronics to interface to the flight sim, then if you are willing to take the device apart and extend the wires, it should work.

The other method to do these sort of functions involves a custom program using either an raspberry pi or an arduino board. This choice of which option to use depends upon how far you intend to take your simulator. For 1 or two switches, the "hack" may be the easiest. For a TON of switches, a custom analog/digital solution likely has the most growth potential.
Last edited by wmburns on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
sellener777

Post by sellener777 »

Ahh , thought maybe i could wire it together myself.

I mean shoot, just the other day i installed a dishwasher that ended up working without leaks.

Waiting on a response from PFC , thought maybe i could rig it up.

Thx Keith
sellener777

Post by sellener777 »

wmburns wrote:Will assume this is X-plane.

Your USB idea won't work. Too simple. But I can suggest a low tech DIY solution to your problem. What are you planning to use for throttle quadrant? If for example you said a Saitek Three Lever Pro Throttle Quadrant, then consider there are (3) extra switches on the front. AND there are switches in the levers themselves that engage when the handle is brought back below a certain point. What if one of the unused switches were disconnected and the wires extended to your yoke? Since under X-plane it's possible to assign ANY switch to ANY function, then this extended switch only has to be "mapped" to the PTT function.

You don't even have to take the Throttle Quadrant apart to test it to ensure that it works. Just pick an unused switch and map it to PPT. Then confirm that the switch actually works as intended. Then when you extend the wires to the Yoke, you will know the switch will still function as intended.

The other method to do these sort of functions involves a custom program using either an raspberry pi or an arduino board. This choice of which option to use depends upon how far you intend to take your simulator. For 1 or two switches, the "hack" may be the easiest. For a TON of switches, a custom analog/digital solution likely has the most growth potential.

Hey thx! Its a pfc BATD so Im understanding i could plug in a usb joystick/yoke....whtever ...and map the contact atc to one of its buttons. One guy velcroed another joystick upside down under his desk...haha lol

If pfc gets back with me ill see what they have in mind....

If i did run the wires to yoke would i just tie the wires into the aircraft ptt velcro wraparound switch? Thx all
sellener777

Post by sellener777 »

I guess a retro nintendo controller electrical taped to the yoke would also work untill ibfigure out a permanent solution.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I've pinged pfc for you regarding this issue.

They built the PTTs at my request and more as a favor than a production item.

I'll find out if they're up for making more.
ctoomuch

Post by ctoomuch »

Just hook a pushbutton to this: http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/ ... /index.htm
Map it to PTT