Frequency repeater implementation

stemorbin

Frequency repeater implementation

Post by stemorbin »

Dear all

After being scolded ;) for stepping on another pilot or rather calling the controller before a pilot had a chance to read back, I realized the following. I am always able hear the controller no matter what frequency I am on, but I am not able to hear all the pilots that interact with said controller. There's pilot's calls I do get and there are some I don't.

Based on what rules does the "repeater" work? Which pilots should I be able to hear. Which should I not be able to hear? How do I make sure that "it's my turn" on the frequency?

I searched the forums and these two threads came up:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6598&p=44076&hilit ... lot#p44076
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5113

In summary:
Tower and Below: "My controller" + all the pilots on my frequency.
Above: "My controller"

Is that correct? If so:

I am pretty certain that I sometimes hear pilots on different frequencies than mine on nearby airports (GND/TWR). Am I experiencing a software or a hardware (my cognitive system ;) ) bug?
And how long do I wait after the controller has called someone else? (In case the controller issues a CLNC the case is quite clear. I wait for his "readback correct". But what about all the other cases, where the controller is not confirming anything?)
Keith Smith

Re: Frequency repeater implementation

Post by Keith Smith »

See the announcement in the General Forum, "Voice Isolation, Part 4": viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8153

Regarding how long to wait for readbacks that controllers don't acknowledge (that would be all of them, except IFR clearances), you can read back the instruction in your head at a moderate pace with a small delay before you start. That is about the best you can do.
stemorbin

Re: Frequency repeater implementation

Post by stemorbin »

Thanks Keith.

All questions have been answered.

Quite a lot of readbacks that contribute to my workload :)