VATSIM and Pilotedge plugins together

pmontanarella

VATSIM and Pilotedge plugins together

Post by pmontanarella »

Hi,

I was thinking of doing a flight starting in PE airspace and ending outside, possibly connecting to VATSIM once outside the PE airspace. I was wondering if disabling x-squawkbox and later VSPro would enable me to run both without restarting the sim.

Thanks,
Kind Regards,
Pietro
Steven Winslow

Re: VATSIM and Pilotedge plugins together

Post by Steven Winslow »

I know the x-squawkbox plugin does not play well with NetFlight and X-FlightServer plugins, but I've never tried what you are proposing. Why not give it a go and let us know what happens?
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Pietro,

Both the XSB and PE plugins use the same underlying rendering code. That code takes over the multiplayer system (for the purpose of supporting TCAS). I haven't tried running them at the same time, but I would be surprised if there weren't some issues with doing so.

I don't know how XSB behaves when you use the 'disable' or 'enable' feature within X-Plane, but I am pretty sure the PE plugin doesn't handle those cases particularly gracefully right now (it wasn't a use case I had considered). The problem is that the rendering code that we use doesn't have an 'unload' function, so it's unclear what the 'disable' feature of the plugin should actually do. I can look into it some time, but there are several other higher priority development items that I need to address first.

Having both plugins loaded at the same time, at the very least, is going to eat a boatload of RAM and VRAM, since they both fully load all the textures and models for all of the aircraft in the CSL library.
pmontanarella

Post by pmontanarella »

Steven Winslow wrote:I know the x-squawkbox plugin does not play well with NetFlight and X-FlightServer plugins, but I've never tried what you are proposing. Why not give it a go and let us know what happens?
Tested, you get an x-squawkbox message saying it wasn't able to load the multiplayer system because another plugin was controlling it and that's all.

Haven't tried going online in any but I don't think much would change except you wouldn't see traffic in VATSIM. No frame rate hit at all.

Pietro
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Gentlemen, I still think that the fastest way is to have both plug-ins in the folder, and just quickly switch .xpl to .bak and the other from .bak to .xpl depending on where you want to fly. I keep doing it and it takes only several seconds.
What does take time is X-plane version 10 loading ...*smile. Cheers, AJ