Flight shown as logged in but no flight plan and PEaware

arb65912

Flight shown as logged in but no flight plan and PEaware

Post by arb65912 »

That is weird. I am logged in on PE, Live Map shows me flying.
Some time ago , main page showed my VFR flight plan , now, it says I am logged in but no flight plan, PEaware does not show anything and Live map does.

Any explanation for that?

Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Re: Flight shown as logged in but no flight plan and PEaware

Post by Keith Smith »

The only thing that I can think of is that the controller created a strip for you when you departed the airport. He may not have known your destination and left it either incomplete, or simply put in a direction of flight. This would overwrite your original flight plan and explain the behavior your saw.

This isn't an ideal outcome, I'll have to think about ways to avoid this happening in the future as it limits the utility of the VFR flight plan.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Thank you Keith. It is not that critical but it would be nice to get some solution for it. Controller did not know my destination since I took of VFR to NE without flight following.
I wonder if anything can be done about it from Controller side. VFR flight plan seems to work fine but maybe ATC interaction messes it up ( as you expected)

Thank you for the reply, cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Gotcha. If you file VFR and fly without talking to ATC, the flight will be logged (that's why we added VFR flight plan support).

If you depart a towered field and receive flight following, your flight should be logged.

The only issue that I can see is if you file VFR, then depart a towered field without flight following. The strip that they create for you is incomplete, and is causing the issue.

I'll make sure the controllers know that by creating the incomplete strip, it's hosing the original VFR flight plan (which, in their defense, they cannot see). A solution would be for them to NOT create a strip for aircraft which aren't getting f/f. They create the strip for their own short term tracking purposes.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

You nailed it, Keith! :D
All they Controllers need is not to create the strip for the flight without ff, problem solved. Thank you.Cheers, AJ