Free Scenery for PilotEdge users

Daddy O

Free Scenery for PilotEdge users

Post by Daddy O »

I have been working on adding scenery to airports in the PilotEdge area of coverage, and the first <beta> release is ready.

So instead of flying into a blank airport, and parking on wide open tarmac, with these scenery packs you can now taxi to the base of the tower, taxi to the fuel tanks, start in a hangar, or park in an actual tie-down. Two of the featured airports actually have their own air museums, and these have been rendered.

the scenery packs are free to PilotEdge members and Beta testers. You can download them at:
http://home.comcast.net/~adam_celaya/ (Mod note: old link removed and replaced with comcast address)

The scenery packs include the following airports (and a few I forgot to write down)
Q66 Hermitage
E45 Pine Mountain Lake
O24 Lee Vining
KLSN Los Banos
KMCE Merced
L70 Agua Dulce
46CN Crystal
KSGU St George
KFUL Fullerton
1L8 General Dick Stout airfield
67L Mesquite
L92 Alamo
U08 Perkins Field
KBIH Bishop
KSCK Stockton
KSNA John Wayne
KCMA Camarillo
KSAC Sacramento Executive
KTOA Torrence
KLGB Long Beach
KCPM Woodley
KHHR Northrop Field

Njoy!
Last edited by Daddy O on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Re: Free Scenery for PilotEdge users

Post by Keith Smith »

Looking forward to checking these out, thx Adam!

I know you can't easily change the domain name, so that is there to stay, but there are several text-based references to "Xplanes" that should probably read "Xplane" on the page.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Nope, Xplanes was intentional. In fact Xplanes predate Xplane by 45 years, and are the most fascinating portion of aviation history to me. I started flying Xplane back on version 6 because it had the X15, X3, and X1. Our local air museum actually has an Xplane on display, along with one of the NASA B52s used to launch the X15.

Hopefully everyone enjoys the scenery. The next update will include the rest of the major airports in Socal (except for KLAX) Then I'll start focusing on the small airports that are so hard to spot in Xplane. I did a few of the small airports up north because they were either scenic to fly to, or were good navigational practice.

Also planned for the next update are some special touches like runway obstructions so pilots can practice landing and departing short fields with trees at the end.
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

Thank you, Adam! As a pilot for and owner of Air Northwest Virtual Airlines I have access to a lot of scenery, including a lot of the PilotEdge coverage area. I know what an effort you are making to provide this scenery. I've done a bit of Overlay Editor work, but WED is still foreign to me. One of these days....or two or three....I plan on learning WED. For now, I rely on guys like you to help me populate my X-Plane world. Thanks again for your work!
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Fair enough, Adam, but when you start referring to folder names and throw an 'S' on the end because it reminds you of an era of aviation history that you enjoy, don't be surprised if some people get confused :) We can agree to disagree on that point, then, but I'm still very grateful for you for publishing the scenery!
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Actually Kieth, one thing I could use is suggestions for things to add to help pilots develop, kinda along the lines of the runway obstructions for shortfield landings, or populating minor airports for navigational practice. If you think of things to feature at the various airports, lemme know and I will incorporate them into the next round of updates. I have been looking for a good place to skin a box canyon airport, any ideas on that one?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I wouldn't add any obstructions that don't existing in real life. If pilots want a challenge, the can find a suitably short or narrow runway that is challenging by nature. If you find airports with displaced thresholds, they are often there are result of r/w obstructions. It would be cool to model those!

Keith
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Do you know of any box-canyon runways in the PE service area?
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I just added Montgomery Field KMYF and San Diego KSAN to the scenery packs. Montgomery field is great for helicopters and smaller GA traffic, and even includes rendering of the spiders and the SDPD landing pads, as well as about a dozen hangers you can actually park in.

San Diego is really great for the big steel since it has passenger terminals on the south side, and the aircraft maintance yards to the north.

For the Wednesday focus flight to Yuma, you can download the scenery for Yuma all by itself. I suggest getting this scenery file because Yuma is split between military on the East (MCAS) and civilian on the west. In real life if you taxi onto the Marine's tarmac, you will be held for questioning. I have posted the link for Yuma on the scenery page.

www.xplanes-scenery.com
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

If you want to add KHES (formerly O31) Healdsburg, CA to your packs, you can download the scenery I just created at the following link:

http://www.winslowstudio.com/scenery/KH ... ly_O31.zip

I used the stock airport layout and data and Overlay Editor. The scenery requires OpenSceneryX.

Enjoy,

Steve Winslow

EDIT: Andrew Cook, COO of Air Northwest has fixed the airport code issue as well as the airport boundary and some of the taxiway and lighting issues. If you downloaded this scenery before 02:48 zulu, March 28, please download it again and replace.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.