Configuring PTT with a PFC sim

KevinH

Configuring PTT with a PFC sim

Post by KevinH »

I just installed PilotEdge for our CATIII PFC simulator and we are having difficulty with the radios. We don't seem to be transmitting or recieving on the radio. How to I map buttons on the flight yoke to key the mic?
Keith Smith

Re: Configuring PTT with a PFC sim

Post by Keith Smith »

This was discussed in the "FLY PFC Hardware" thread, here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1784

Briefly, you need to determine if you have a serial yoke or USB yoke. If it's serial, you need a separate PTT (PM me for info on that). If it's a USB yoke, then the latest version of PFC plugin should have a setting that toggles the AP Disconnect button on the yoke between being a normal AP disconnect, or triggering the PE PTT.

As for not receiving any audio, it will output the audio to whichever speakers you have selected as the output device in the preferences section of the PE plugin.

We have hundreds of hours of flights that have been conducting with PFC equipment...we can definitely get this going for you.

Edit: Kevin, I think I know which business this is associated with, and that is a brand new CATIII desktop unit...it's definitely going to be USB. This should be easy to set up. Just toggle the AP disconnect to the PTT setting via the PFC plugins. If you need to set up a time to debug with me, let me know.
MXMiles

Post by MXMiles »

Keith, thanks so much for the reply. We will definitely make your suggested adjustments and let you know if they work (which I'm fully expecting them to as we are still getting acquainted our new simulator).
KevinH

Post by KevinH »

Keith-I found and the PTT function in the plug ins and set that. But I am not hearing any audio at all. PE map shows I'm connected but I can't hear anything on any freq. When I connect I do hear 'connected to PE'.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kevin,

The system shows that you're on a different frequency than the Santa Monica ground or tower frequencies. Either they're not being set correctly on the display, or they're actually setting the com2 radio instead of the com1. I was speaking with your partner about this via email, and he said it's a single radio unit, not dual radio.

I don't have any experience with a single radio PFC unit, only dual radios, where it's clear which one is com1 and which is com2. My concern is that your single unit might be setting the com2 radio under the covers. If you can use X-Plane's data input/output screen to find out the com1 and com2 radio states, then we'll be in good shape.

If it turns out that it's setting the com2 radio and that you can't control the com1 radio, then I'll make a custom build for you that reads com2 instead of com1 in X-Plane.

Alternatively, you could map keys in X-Plane to increment and decrement both the com1 and com2 radios (separately). You could then perform two pieces of debugging:
1) you could increment the com1 radio frequency and see if it changes what you're seeing on the PE map (that would be the com1 radio)
2) then, try incrementing the com2 radio frequency and see if it changes the visual display on your radio

Between all of that, we should be able to find out what's going on.
KevinH

Post by KevinH »

Keith-
I discovered that PE is picking up our GPS COM. Have you encountered this? Is there a way to set up so that PE picks up our COM1?

Thanks!
Kevin
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kevin,

The GPS/COM was the first thing I suggested to Patrick, and he said there wasn't a second radio, that's why I went down that other track.

You can ask PFC if it's possible to swap their assignment from com1 to com2....but I can also give you a custom build that reads com2 without too much effort.
KevinH

Post by KevinH »

ok. would you mind speaking on the phone? if not, email me your number and a convenient time to call. thanks for such prompt responses!