headset dead, and can't contact ATC

Flybob37

headset dead, and can't contact ATC

Post by Flybob37 »

I just got XPlane running on my MacBook Pro and have a Logitech headset. It picks up nothing. And when I push the button that i designated for Contact ATC...nothing happens. Any ideas?
Also, how do I get the X-Plane ATC running commentary to STOP?
Bob Carpenter
Instrument Rated Private Pilot
Eugene Zaporozhets

Re: headset dead, and can't contact ATC

Post by Eugene Zaporozhets »

Did you tune to the correct ATC frequency in your COM1 radio before keying the mic, flybob? The pilotedge servers simulate the real-world frequencies, so the frequency to reach a controller will be different depending on your location. I've been on LA center this morning and monitored your flight on the map page. I never saw you tuned to a specific frequency, so that might be the reason you couldn't hear/talk to ATC. Also, check to make sure you're using the COM1 radio, since COM2 isn't functional on pilotedge yet.
c.b.powell

Post by c.b.powell »

Eugene Zaporozhets wrote:Also, check to make sure you're using the COM1 radio, since COM2 isn't functional on pilotedge yet.
Just chiming in: I'm glad you mentioned that, as I wasn't aware of this limitation and had tried using both radios like I do in real life. (Keith S. must have been responding out of courtesy and/or pity after hearing me call ground on the approach frequency.) :)

Flybob, I too am a Mac user. Regarding your first question, check the headset is working at the operating-system level first. Go to Sys Preferences > Sound > Input, set your 'input volume' to about mid-way, and verify that sounds register on the "input level" meter. If they're not working there, that's your problem. I wager that your input volume slider is set to its lowest setting.

Re: your second question... assuming you mean the built-in radio chatter that X-Plane provides, you can turn that off in X-Plane: uncheck Settings > Sound > background radio chatter.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Summary of suggestions so far:
- make sure mic is working at the OS-level, and is the default recording device.

- use COM1 to talk to PilotEdge controllers

Additional suggestion:
- make sure you have Master On and Avionics on, and that you're tuned to the correct frequency for your location (ie, if you're at SNA, then call SNA_GND for a radio check). Also, bear in mind that if your bus voltage drops below 90% of the nominal voltage (ie, 90% of 12v or 24v), the radio will not work, so get that engine going to fire up the alternator/generator.

If you still have problems, let us know, we'll get you up and going! Thanks for posting on the forum, too, it's helpful for these questions to be here, rather than email. That way, others can see the problem and the solution.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Update: I worked with Bob on this, it was due to an older version of Xplane (pre 9.41). He's working on updating it now.
Flybob37

Post by Flybob37 »

Thanks Keith! I can't believe how much time you spent with me to get this working....I'm Lovin' It!
I flew two patterns around my old home drome and got a headache from the nerves....talk about realistic!
Bob Carpenter
Instrument Rated Private Pilot