Floating Aircraft

Tim Krajcar

Floating Aircraft

Post by Tim Krajcar »

I've been having an issue from day 1 with PE and XP that I haven't been able to solve. Hopefully there's an easy fix out there.

I see every other plane on the network, from drones to real aircraft, to be about 20 feet in the air. And, nobody can see me, because I appear to be underground.

I even tested by driving right on top of another human pilot (I was able to park 'under' him since he was floating) and we compared our 'Altitude' settings from the Local Map view and mine was ten feet lower.

I was able to appear to the other pilot by increasing my altitude 20 degrees, but I of course fell through the pavement to him.

The other pilot and I normalized weather settings to CAVOK 29.92, same airplane model, etc, and nothing fixed it.

I also see ALL of the drones as floating, whereas this other pilot reported all the drones look perfectly fine to him.

Normally I would suspect a scenery issue, but I haven't installed a thing. Just the worldwide global scenery (same as the other pilot although I believe he only installed CA and not worldwide like me).

I have 'runways follow terrain' OFF. Any other settings I can tweak?
Tim Krajcar
Live streams at http://twitch.tv/Tim_PE
View past flights on YouTube
Tim Krajcar

Re: Floating Aircraft

Post by Tim Krajcar »

:oops: :oops:

I fixed it... turns out I forgot the #1 rule of betas and had not updated my plugin version in awhile. All is well now!
Tim Krajcar
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Tim,

I'd be surprised if that was it, actually. Did you have the runway/contour setting that way all along, or was that something you changed during your last invocation of Xplane (prior to the plugin upgrade) ?

Keith
Tim Krajcar

Post by Tim Krajcar »

Hi Keith,

No, you're right. I had flipped that setting and then my next restart was when I updated the plugin. That's one thing XP could stand to improve on; not everything that requires a XP restart to become effective is labeled as such.

Is there a way for the client plugin to check for the runway contours setting and put up a warning so people know to change it?
Tim Krajcar
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Tim,

I recently reviewed the dataref to see if a bunch of the 'little settings that screw things up' could be checked (for the reason you described). I can't quite recall the result of my research.

The harsh reality is that for now, people need to read the installation/configuration documentation closely while we're still in beta, before the polish is applied.

The final product, clearly, has to account for these things as much as it can, but there are definitely things I need to work on before that (MSFS port, anyone?) :)

I've updated the installation documentation with more detail as to setting the sloped runway setting in the rendering options, reflecting the fact that a restart/reposition is required for the setting to take effect.

Keith
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I too have that same issue, but it is terribly inconsistent. For a while I thought it was the scenery paqcks I was building, but then it happened to me at an island about 3000 miles from California. I will check the contours setting and see if it was reset afyet the last plugin update. I didn't realize that it changed.

It would be really nice if it was not the scenery editor I use. I had slowed down on the scenery packs because I was worried that Overlay Editor was the problem.