Jeff's X-Plane Scenery for SoCal and Beyond

lwilliams

Re: Jeff's X-Plane Scenery for SoCal and Beyond

Post by lwilliams »

One of the best I have seen......VERY nice job!

Lee
Lee Williams
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Thanks Lee!

Is there much demand for photoscenery within the airport boundaries or are people using the SimHeaven LA scenery I've linked to in the past (or just don't care about photoscenery in general)?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I personally dislike photo scenery. I hope you'll be building airport scenery in the same style that you've been using so far!
Vincent Meier

Post by Vincent Meier »

Keith Smith wrote:I personally dislike photo scenery. I hope you'll be building airport scenery in the same style that you've been using so far!
I concur with Keith on this. Photo Scenery does not work for everyone or look good for everyone, but what you are doing now does..
Keep up the great work!!
Vincent Meier

Skyhawk 172: C-FEGU
Baron 58: C-FEED
Cirrus SR22: C-FLAG
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Now that I'm finally settled back in good old SoCal, I can get back to building and enhancing scenery for local airports. And since my new office is literally on the other side of the fence from John Wayne airport ( :shock: :D ), I felt the need to make a few tweaks to my scenery file.

Biggest development: no more ridiculous skyscrapers to squeeze between on short final to 19R! Plus a few more details and enhancements. Just re-download the file in the first post to get it.

KCRQ Palomar is underway as well and should be done soon. Stay tuned.
Attachments
Car_Centurion_v10_94.jpg
Car_Centurion_v10_94.jpg (158.01 KiB) Viewed 15034 times
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jeff, is that satellite imagery being used on short final there?
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Yes but it's not part of the airport scenery package. It's from the SimHeaven SoCal photoscenery I mention in the OP. I'll continue to keep photoscenery optional.

I do plan to fill in more of the surrounding buildings with XP10 assets when time allows.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Good to know. That picture is Exhibit A in the case against photoscenery :)
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

Heh, yeah I do agree that the flattened buildings are a turn-off when down low but once above pattern altitude satellite imagery is a massive improvement over stock, IMO.

As I said though, I'll place appropriate business park buildings to improve the ambience for both photoscenery users and those opposed...
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

This is something I meant to post when XP 10.25 came out, but for everyone using my airports and other custom scenery in SoCal, I highly recommend removing the "Global Airports" folder from your Custom Scenery directory. 10.25 introduced the user-created "lego brick" airports that are, frankly, less than accurate or desirable (with few exceptions) and, worse yet, conflict with other airports you've installed. All the airports included in that folder are available at the .org and can be installed individually if you like. My favorite resource for finding SoCal scenery is http://www.xpscenery.net/map.php?continent=3