independant camera/view

steve.huff

independant camera/view

Post by steve.huff »

It would be interesting to have an independent camera (view) of the PilotEdge world. It would need to be independent of the pilot's simulator so that
it did not use the simulator's aircraft model or liveries. it would be interesting to see how a pilot's aircraft looked to the rest of the PilotEdge community.
If it could be located at a preset position and controlled. It would make a great addition, and a new perspective to social nights and fly-ins.
Daddy O

Re: independant camera/view

Post by Daddy O »

Xplane actually allows for either a tower view, or a runway view. The latter is designed for pilots who fly scale models to practice while using Xplane. Either would give you a view of the outside world.

Another option is to run a 2nd pc in an external view.

Since we areall using the same aircraft models online, we all look the same. All those cstom skins are replaced with the generic one while online.

WHat would be cool is if PE could tell what I was flying so I could switch planes without having to logout/in with thnew ICAO code for my plane, or have to lookup the code for my plane before flyng.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Daddy O wrote:Since we areall using the same aircraft models online, we all look the same. All those cstom skins are replaced with the generic one while online.
Not really, each FS9 draws planes differently from FSX, which draws them differently from X-Plane. Within each sim, it's not uncommon for people to expand their CSL libraries beyond the set that ships with the original product. How your aircraft looks on a given system is going to be entirely dependent on the CSL libraries that the person has installed on that computer.
WHat would be cool is if PE could tell what I was flying so I could switch planes without having to logout/in with thnew ICAO code for my plane, or have to lookup the code for my plane before flyng.
The server and pilot clients will eventually allow you to specify a new aircraft type without having to disconnect/reconnect, but it's not high on the list. Similarly, we will have an ICAO lookup function built-in to the clients at some point. Neither of these are high on the list, though. In the short term, disconnecting/reconnecting takes a few seconds, and codes for frequently used planes could be written down on a cheat sheet near your computer if a memory aid is required.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

steve.huff wrote:It would be interesting to have an independent camera (view) of the PilotEdge world. It would need to be independent of the pilot's simulator so that
it did not use the simulator's aircraft model or liveries. it would be interesting to see how a pilot's aircraft looked to the rest of the PilotEdge community.
If it could be located at a preset position and controlled. It would make a great addition, and a new perspective to social nights and fly-ins.
Steve, I have wanted a web-based observation and listening tool from day 1. I agree, it would be a neat feature.

This tool would show _a_ representation of how an aircraft might be depicted on the network, but what pilots ACTUALLY see in their sim is based on a number of factors.

The two choices of technology would either to be live video streaming from a farm of simulator instances, all parked at strategic locations, OR, use a generic visualization tool into which we inject the live traffic (such as Google Earth). The latter would be infinitely flexible, but would produce questionable 3d visuals. The former could produce great visuals, but would not be very flexible, and would require considerable maintenance.
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

That brings up my second option. I believe that the Controllers have some capability to view the airport environment. perhaps a "tower" view. if there was a Web page with the active Controllers' views that a person could select. Thereby "piggybacking" the Controller's view. That would be flexible in that the Controller would be observing any activity hotspots.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

The controllers are not generally working with a tower view, they're working with a radar scope (even at the towered airports).

We have done live broadcasts from the scopes before, and that is something we will do again in the future. Here are two recordings from the scope taken a few months ago: http://www.justin.tv/pilotedge/videos (I've seen fixed my audio recording so that the pilot audio is captured with the same fidelity as the ATC audio).
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

thanks Keith! those are very cool! Please post more. I would think that those would be useful in advertising.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

"Daddy O wrote:
Since we areall using the same aircraft models online, we all look the same. All those cstom skins are replaced with the generic one while online."

"Not really, each FS9 draws planes differently from FSX, which draws them differently from X-Plane. Within each sim, it's not uncommon for people to expand their CSL libraries beyond the set that ships with the original product. How your aircraft looks on a given system is going to be entirely dependent on the CSL libraries that the person has installed on that computer."

What I was saying is that only you will see your high quality csl skins. Everyone else will see whatever they have in their library. So you can spend $30 on a custom airplane, but to the rest of us you will still look like the stock aircraft in our csl library.