X-Plane external visuals

steve.huff

X-Plane external visuals

Post by steve.huff »

I added my first visual computer. It seems to work correctly as a slave.
I installed the plug-in to both computers. added the VsProSlaves.ini., it has only a 0 or 1 in it. I tried both.
Both computers when configured as single computer x-planes connect to pilotedge successfully.
I would appreciate any help someone could give me on this.
I don't know if this is additional x-plane configuration i need to do other then setting the IP's in the network section
or what the problem is.
Keith Smith

Re: X-Plane external visuals

Post by Keith Smith »

add the VSProSlaves.ini file on the master machine, set the contents to match the number of external visual machines (in this case, 1).

Start up X-Plane on the master and slave machines. Select the VSPro->Connect option on the slave machine. There will be no visual feedback, and no connect dialogue box...this is normal.

Then, go to the master machine and connect to PE as usual. That should do it. You should start seeing the traffic on the external visual.
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

Thanks for the response Keith. When I start the slave first. It looks like it hangs or crashes. Same thing happens with the master.
There is no disconnect option in the vspro plug-in on either one. Also I do not get a log-in page on the master. On the slave, in the vspro plug-in/preferences. I only see the speakers attached. I attached a second headset to the slave to see if the lack of a microphone was crashing the plug-in. I was not able to find any processes running for vspro. What is the process name for vspro? At the OS level, both microphone and speakers are recognized. Is there someway to "turn-off" the sound or microphone requirement in either x-plane or vspro? I downloaded the newest plug-in and vspro files, and did a "copy/replace" to make sure that I had the same version of files on both machines.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

You can select which sounds you want to play on each PC in the Xplane sound options screen, for instance, I only have radio and alarms from my primary PC and engine sounds through my 2nd PC. Good way to isolate sounds, but prolly not your problem.

So you have 2 PCs, both running Xplane 9.61 or better, and they work fine in multi PC mode (before you connect to PE.) Once you try to connect on the slave it hangs.

One possibility may be the app you wrote the slave file in. Wordpad adds some hiden formatting that notepad does not. Try opening the slave file in notepad and remove any extra text that should not be there. Then move on to fault isolation--turn down graphic settings, disable weather (weather can be a major hit!) turn off anti-aliasing. If it still hangs, and you have corrected the ini file, then....

Disconnect the slave PC from the main pc, plug ethernet into the slave and try to connect to PE as if you were on the primary. This will isolate out the slave PC issue. If PE still hangs the box, even in solo mode then you may have a basic setup issue on that box (and should refer to Kieth's setup page.)

Question: how is your 2nd computer connected to the master? IS there a hub or router, direct connect with a bridged connection?
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

I turned down all the rendering options and used "default" when ever it was available.
recreated the VSProSlave.ini in notepad(I used this previously). I use a router to connect both computers
which individually can connect to pilotEdge. the x-plane log shows it loads vspro and the vsproResources files.
vspro.out on the slave shows it initializes and receives configuration from the master. the master vspro.out shows it recognizes the slave and sends configuration to it. i still don't get a log-on screen on the master.
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

Vspro output, there are no lines in vspro.err.
slave:
Starting up: PilotEdge client, V0.6.9
initVoice with device NULL, returned 0
VSPro initialized
initSlave() entered
setSlave() starting MC
setSlave() MC started
setSlave() done
initSlave(): vspc->setSlave(): done
initSlave() registered flight loop callback

master:
VSPro initialized
initSlave() entered
setSlave() starting MC
setSlave() MC started
setSlave() done
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

I was finially able to connect. I can only stay connected with a ) in the vsproslaves.ini. with a 1. xplane crashes right after connection. I am not completely covinced that the external view is connected. but according to vspro.out is.( i still don't have a vspro plugin/disconnect button on the slave. should i have that?

slave vspro.out:
VSPro initialized
initSlave() entered
setSlave() starting MC
setSlave() MC started
setSlave() done

Master vspro logs show ( I connect at kdsm, des moines. So as not to interfre with anyone. i am assuming that's why the voice device is Null etc.):
MessageControler: connection status = 45: Couldn't read [tristesse.com:5559]

VSPro initialized
Connecting...
Connected to VSPro Server
Error connecting to VSPro voice: 1
Sent voice id to server
Voice id = 21
MessageController exiting
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

If you don't see a dialogue box after selecting the 'connect' menu option, then it means that X-Plane thinks the machine is running as an external visual. If you have two machines in your configuration then at least ONE of them should NOT have this option selected.

From what you described earlier, both of the machines where running as external visuals.

The MASTER machine needs to have an internet connection (it's the one that will connect to the PE server). The EXTERNAL VISUAL (slave) does NOT need a working internet connection.

Let me know if this helps, or if you're still having trouble.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

It does sound like you are running 2 visuals, and it is crashing because they are both requesting info from the other. Check your network settings in Xplane. The IP entries should be on different pages for each PC (master/slave.)

I hope you get it running. It is nice to have ATC call out traffic at 3 oclock and be able to watch it slide by on your side view, or look out and make sure your wing is clear of the T hangars as you taxi.
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

Thanks for the Help! I haven't had a chance to test it any further. I initially tried changing the value in the file. but it didn't seem to help. i recreated the file several times using Notepad++. i also made several network changes. I did notice that x-plane will create firewall rules for the windows 7 firewall to include all tcp/udp ports. the last time I changed the value to "0" it did work. But now I am addicted to home cockpit building. I am planning on adding a third computer this weekend with two monitors to use the G1000, Avidyne, and new Aspen FTS panels.