X-Plane external visuals

Keith Smith

Re: X-Plane external visuals

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi Steve,

Let us know how you do once you have the master/slave configuration fixed in Xplane. Go through the Network tabs very, very closely. The labels will eventually make sense (look for phrases like "THIS is the master machine")
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

i can 't connect if i have the 2 machines networked. i set the networking up 8 times tonight. both machines connect with the logon screen individually.
when their connected i don't gt a logon screen. it makes no difference if i have the vsproslaves.ini set to 0 or or 1 or not even on the master machine.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

Your XPlane networking is setup incorrectly. Both machines have somehow been configured as external visuals. Can you take screenshots (hit CTRL-.) of the various screens where you enter the IP addresses in Xplane's networking setup and post them here?
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

Connected! you were right Keith. i kept reading the labels slowere and slower and it finnially made sense.
the syntax is [Role or type of visual],([is the machine that it is configured on]) is Role or purpose requires a single entry. I made the mistake of adding two entries on both machines. i knew the first external visual was going to be the "learning curve". thanks again! i guess it wasn't the silly plug-in. lol
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

Yep, Austin Myers is a friggin' genius, but he should get a secretary to write the instructions for him. Sometimes the most complicated stuff in Xplane has the briefest of holdover text. Sometimes his holdover hints remind me of that skit on SNL "You can never have too much water in a nuclear reactor..." :)
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

I would have to agree with that. someone needs to expand on the maual and add information to what each of the selections can do. there is so much configuration and power behind what can be connected or how data is out put from simulated hardware to the actural instruments. Like a Garmin or King. personaly i'd like to see a good Trimble approach plus piece of hardware. but then again I like Vor or NDB work. a gps seems like a situational awareness cheat.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve, now that you have it connected properly, be sure that you select 'connect' on the external visual first (there will be no dialogue box). This basically sets up the external visual to listen for packets from the master. Then, click Connect on the master machine and connect to the network as usual. If you do it in reverse order (connect master first, then the visual), you will not see the traffic around you.

This will eventually be simplified and the external visuals will automatically listen upon startup.

Also, now that you have it all working, make sure your VSProSlaves.ini file on the master contains a single number. That number should be the number of external visuals in your system (likely to be just 1 if you have a 2 machine config, master/slave).

Let me know when you've got it all working!
steve.huff

Post by steve.huff »

I connected tonight and it worked great! I was sitting on the ramp doing my preflight and saw a KIng Air taxi off the active runway! No doubts about the exteral working correctly now. I then did some touch and goes. Well worth all the frustration.