Best Way to get ATIS

ianbennett

Best Way to get ATIS

Post by ianbennett »

Hi,

Wath is the best way to get ATIS information ?

I use myflightroute.com as it is the only solution giving me the active runway

I would love to have a in cockpit solution, any suggestion ?

Thanks
Last edited by ianbennett on Fri May 01, 2015 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nelson L.

Re: Brest Way to get ATIS

Post by Nelson L. »

In-cockpit the only option is to tune in the ATIS frequency of the arrival airport. If you're close enough to receive, you'll receive wind, altimeter, cloud cover, active runways, etc... Depending on sim, the ATIS should be the same frequency as in the real world (although certain XP ATIS frequencies in the PE coverage area are off [Van Nuys is one]). To find a expected runway prior to ATIS, check Skyvector (or myflightroute or similar equivalent) - they have ATIS readouts.
X-Plane 10.45
Pilotedge - V3/I11 (N2253F; UAL/CAL 2253; TPX___)
Alphabet Challenge - 2 Legs Completed
ianbennett

Re: Brest Way to get ATIS

Post by ianbennett »

Hi,

Getting the ATIS on comm2 insid x-plane does not get me the active runway used in PE and that just about the most important information.
Also it does not give me the ´information pap' indication.

Or am i getting something wrong ?
Keith Smith

Re: Best Way to get ATIS

Post by Keith Smith »

Nelson, sim-generated ATIS doesn't have a clue about the rules that go into selecting active runways. Ian is correct, the only way to receive runway information is through the atis system on myflightroute. We are looking at ways to implement this in the pilot client so it plays that recording. There are many ways it can be done.
kullery

Post by kullery »

Keith Smith wrote:sim-generated ATIS doesn't have a clue about the rules that go into selecting active runways.
Perhaps more importantly, sim-generated ATIS has NOT been subjected to Peter Grey quality control!

Silly me, I thought runway selection was a simple matter of looking at wind direction when I started the ATIS development. About 500 lines of code latter (with Peter's outstanding guidance) we got that part working reasonably well.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Apologies, may have not made myself clear. The ATIS includes things like active runways based on its algorithms - however, if you have RW weather set, the winds will be more or less correct (minus the magnetic vs true headings). I won't pretend to understand the process of choosing active runways at specific airports, but the wind will more than likely provide runway information - the ATIS information is purely supplementary. Keith, I know its probably been considered, but is there a limitation on PE disabling XP/ESP ATIS freqs and having the controller record the ATIS for RW weather? Probably not possible to disable the in-sim freqs, and it may not be feasible to use PE-specific freqs, but I would imagine that its possible to notify people upon purchasing a PE membership of a ATIS+.02mhz rule? If not, could we get an update of PE ATIS if its still in development? :)
X-Plane 10.45
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

We're not going to have PE controllers record the ATIS for 40 towered airports. The long term plan is to integrate Ken's ATIS system into the pilot client. There are many different approaches to get this done. I could do a quick and dirty version with relative ease, but I'd prefer to use an approach which will benefit from the range-based voice distortion code which will eventually make its way into the system.

Pilots will be able to toggle the system on/off within the pilot client, and then disable the sim's built-in ATIS at their discretion.
Nelson L.

Post by Nelson L. »

Sounds exciting, can't wait! Talk about a tease....
X-Plane 10.45
chevyrules

Post by chevyrules »

Will it feed the weather to X-Plane or is it simply a way to give pilots a way to let us know the active runway that PE controllers are using and the weather they are basing things off?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You can already get real world weather in X-Plane, we don't have to build that functionality.

here is the web-based ATIS system: http://myflightroute.com/atisplay.php?

I'm talking about taking that audio and getting it into the sim. It contains accurate weather, approach and runway information.