Easiest Way to Get Flight Plans into X-Plane: FMS Files?

ScottVal

Easiest Way to Get Flight Plans into X-Plane: FMS Files?

Post by ScottVal »

I'm looking for a good way to enter a complex flight plan into the X-Plane G530, for example BUR to LAS, using the VNY1.DAG departure and the CRESO3 arrival. (This is actually the I-5 rating test.) This flight plan contains 11 fixes. Entering them all using the G530 is very cumbersome, you know, the way you have to use the "knobs" to position the cursor in the characters and then scroll through all the available characters. (Wouldn't it be nice if you could just use the keyboard? Also, wouldn't it be nice if you could enter DPs or STARs?--Maybe in the next version of X-Plane?--Or maybe some payware aircraft have this already?)

It would be nice if there were an app which put a flight plan in an FMS file, similar to what you guys already do with TEC routes. Is there something like that available?

-Scott V., "N602B"
trigger_fsx

Re: Easiest Way to Get Flight Plans into X-Plane: FMS Files

Post by trigger_fsx »

Hi Scott,

I use the following tool >>> http://www.xpflightplanner.com/

Very simple and straight forward and it saves the FMS file to the Output folder in X-plane where the GNS 430/530 picks it up.

Unfortunately it is payware, but you can try for free.

Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Le Roux
N841LR
kullery

Post by kullery »

Try Simroutes.com

A free site created by Ian Elchitz.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

As Ken noted, simroutes.com's route generator allows you to download the flight plan in a variety of formats, one of which is X-Planes fms format. Also, myflightroute.com has TEC routes available for download as fms files.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

ScottVal wrote:Also, wouldn't it be nice if you could enter DPs or STARs?--Maybe in the next version of X-Plane?-
^^^entering procedures by name is already a feature in the latest X-Plane version (10.30+). Here's some information:

http://www.x-plane.com/?article=x-plane ... ease-notes
http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/ne ... ane-10-30/

Likely the piece that you are missing is the updated navigation database data as the GPS data that comes with X-plane is getting "long in the tooth". Products are available from Aerosoft or Navigraph to update the GPS data.

https://www.navigraph.com/ViewNews.aspx?newsId=70
https://www.navigraph.com/FmsData.aspx

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/ib ... D11684_1_1
http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?a ... ge=english

I have an account with Navigraph and have used their service in the past (FSX/PMDG). It's very easy to use and affordable. Note, as a pure simulation pilot, I don't need "up to date" charts buying a "one time" update when needed. Which is usually when the data gets far enough out of date where I encounter a problem. Which the way I fly is every other year.

The "one time" pricing is not always easy to find (they would rather sell an annual subscription). But for example the one time download from Aerosoft is 7.55 Euros ($8.49 US). The Navigraph 30 day FSM Data product is $5.90. So it's not really all that expensive.

Also note, in the "real world" the SID/STAR must be loaded by name. In the "real world" it's not an "approved" method to enter a SID or STAR by individual way points. Just from a practical stand point, image entering by hand a STAR and then having ATC change it? It takes too long. There's too great of a chance of error. And it demands too much attention from actually flying the airplane.
Last edited by wmburns on Thu May 14, 2015 7:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
ScottVal

Post by ScottVal »

Thanks for the replies. I had already tried xpflightplanner, but I find it to be inadequate, because it just has you enter a starting point and an ending point, and then it makes up a route for you. I require the ability to set my own route with DPs and STARs, or at least navaids and fixes.

Simroutes is interesting, but it just gives you a list of common routes, so you are out of luck if the route you want to fly is not there. Just for a test I tried a particular route I want to fly from BUR to LAS, and it was close, but missing some waypoints.

I see I got another reply from wmburns (thanks!), and I'll reply to it later.

I've also noticed there are some payware aircraft which have an FMC which is better than the default G530. For example, Fljsim's Dash-8 has a pretty good FMC which allows you to enter waypoints using a keyboard right under the FMC, which is a lot better than turning knobs. I own this one, but I've been having other issues with the plane (see their forum!).

Another payware airplane which seems interesting is the x-aviation CRJ-200. I don't own this one. They tout a good FMC which supports DPs and STARs.

-Scott V.
ScottVal

Post by ScottVal »

OK, I've studied wmburns' reply. Thanks for the reply. I looked at the release notes you referenced, but it does not seem to be what I am looking for. The release notes talk about approaches, but apparently, DPs and STARs are not supported. I'm looking for DPs and STARs.

I don't think the issue (for me) is not that the database is getting old (although it is old), but that you can't enter DPs and STARs by name, and entering the waypoints individually is very cumbersome (as you noted, esp. in flight). Entering the fixes individually, in flight, in real time, using the existing "rotate the knobs" method to enter individual characters, is really impractical, I agree.

-Scott V.
kullery

Post by kullery »

ScottVal wrote: Simroutes is interesting, but it just gives you a list of common routes, so you are out of luck if the route you want to fly is not there. Just for a test I tried a particular route I want to fly from BUR to LAS, and it was close, but missing some waypoints.
In regard to this, take another look at simroutes.com. If you don't like any of the available routes, click on the "generate Routes" link at the top of the page. This will allow you to create a route with the exact SID/STAR and waypoints which you want.
Last edited by kullery on Tue May 12, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5
ScottVal

Post by ScottVal »

Thanks for the reply. I went back into SimRoutes and clicked on "generate routes" like you said. I was able to create the exact route I wanted, and download it in an FMS file. I went into X-Plane and my Carenado C206, and loaded the plan into the 530, and voila, there it was. So, yea, I think this is a great solution. Thanks.

-Scott V.
gsuoumu

Post by gsuoumu »

Just came across this thread as I start preparing for the I-5. Is simroutes.com not functioning anymore? I get an error message when I try to search routes and when I try to generate a route it only gives me the VNY9 out of KBUR when I need the VNY3 and trying to do just about anything gives me an error when I click "generate route".

Would love to be able to plug in procedure names into the GNS 430 I've got in my BE58 for this flight. I can always fly it /A if I need to - feel like that is probably better for my skill development anyway. GPS just allows me to take direct shortcuts.