Floating Plane and Wrong Type Aircraft

c130J_Driver

Floating Plane and Wrong Type Aircraft

Post by c130J_Driver »

Tonight while flying into KLAS I was on the ground when two seperate airplanes landed and taxied. Both were rendered as A320's and appeared to be 20ft above me. Neither plane was suppose to be A320's but for some reason they were shown as A320's on my end. This is the first time I have seen the floating issue and I don't have any custom scenery for KLAS installed and I have the runway option unchecked like mentioned in other posts. Any ideas?

Mike
Daddy O

Re: Floating Plane and Wrong Type Aircraft

Post by Daddy O »

The floating issue is caused by enabling the "runways follow terrain contours" feature in Xplane. Disable that and you should be good. Keep in mind that the feature will reenable itself sometimes after an update.

If they were rendering wrong they likely forgot to change their aircraft type when they login. It happens. I have seen C152s doing Vtol landings on helipads and jet rangers sliding down the taxiways. oops. Either that or they were flying something not in the list of planes available in the plugin. I have always wondered what it renders me as when I fly my Mig37B Ferret 8-)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Mike,

Since you mentioned that you already had the contoured runways turned off, I'm assuming we can rule that out. There are simply some differences between terrain elevations between FSX and X-Plane sometimes, as well as where they measure the center point of the aircraft. The combo of those two things might explain a small amount of floating. If it was a massive difference, let us know, it would be interesting to try to replicate.
c130J_Driver

Post by c130J_Driver »

Yes I did in face have contoured runways turned off and double checked it when I first noticed the floating. The floating was pretty extreme. The one plane parked face to face (about 100ft away) with my plane and he was barely visable in the top of my windscreen. When viewed from the outside view it appeared his belly was about the same height of the T-tail on the CRJ9 that I was in. Since there was another plane inbound at the time I stuck around on the ground just to see if the 2nd plane had the same issue, and it did infact. It appeared to be floating the same amount as the first plane. And like I mentioned they were both being rendered as A320's.
Daddy O

Post by Daddy O »

I have been doing research on this issue and what I have found is that some maps (specifically the apt.dat file) may have the wrong elevation set for the airport. A good example of this is the KGCN airport available on x-plane.org. The map is off by a hundred feet (There is a corrected version of this airport--which includes the Grand Canyon Slolum Run @ www.xplanes-scenery.com/Grand-Canyon-Slolum-run.zip )

If you download the corrected file, be sure to pull the old file from your scenery folder. It will have a different folder name and will likely conflict with the new file.

So, if you have disabled the runway-terrain following feature and set your altitude properly and you still see floating planes (or don't see planes because they are subterranian) then check and see if you are running a custom scenery pack.
Steven Winslow

Post by Steven Winslow »

The reason the aircraft were rendered as A320's is because you don't have the PilotEdge CSL' s installed properly. You have to have the csl's placed in the correct folder as instructed in the installation readme files. I'm not able to pull up my folders at this moment to tell you how to install them, but I'm sure that is the cause of the incorrect aircraft showing up.

As for the floating, I think all the remedies have been mentioned. It's most probably a scenery issue.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.