superg3

Help Switching from Prepar3d to X-Plane and my opinion

Post by superg3 »

Hi all,

I have been using Prepar3d Pro License and a PC with:
i7 6700K 4.0 (OC to 4.7ghz)
32gb Ram G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3400 PC4-27200
GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8GB GDDR5
Samsung 950 PRO M.2 SSD 512GB (only for Prepar3D)
HyperX Predator - SSD PCIe Gen2 x4 (HHHL) 240GB ( For windows 10)
Corsair Water cooling system
Saitek Multi Panel, Switching Panel and Radio Panel
etc, etc.

I'm tired of the intrinsical Prepar3d (or restiled FSX) "Out of memory problem", something related with "VAS", that affects all the Preapar3d installs. So if you will buy Prepar3d, my advise is do not do it until they fix the problem ( if it is possible ).
In P3D I wasted a lot of monney in addons like ORBX, REX, Active Sky, A2A Cessna, etc, etc. and now no sense...

Now I bought a X-Plane Liecense, it is for version 10 and 11. But I have no idea what addons to intall to have the best experience in VFR and also IFR in Pilot Edge.
I've been looking in the forum, but the posts I found are old, maybe I was not able to find the right posts.

I would appreciate some advices.

Thank you!

Marcos
stevekirks

Re: Help Switching from Prepar3d to X-Plane and my opinion

Post by stevekirks »

I don't have the time to provide links but off the top of my head but a Google search will find these:

- ALPilot's HDv3 Mesh is a good match to ORBX FTX Global and Vector, plus it's free.
- Any MisterX scenery
- Jason Chandler's freeware aircraft from http://www.c74.net/xplane/ -- take the time to sign up for the fourms and download the wide range of freebie GA planes. His 182 is great. The visuals are basic but the flight dynamics are amazing

That should keep you busy for a bit. If you want a solid 737 airliner, the IXEG 737 Classic is worth every penny and more.
Steve Kirks (sKirks on Twitch)
KSGF--I-10 rated
Student Pilot
I invented the Alphabet Challenge, what's your excuse?
Alphabet Challenge
superg3

Post by superg3 »

Thank you stevekirks, I will start downloading now.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

There are plenty of us using x-plane with no add'ons at all except aircraft.

I have been trying XP11 and found the VFR experience very different!
Regent 013

Post by Regent 013 »

I will chime in with another voice for the Mesh http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-pla ... cenery-v3/
ALL MrX scenery, is a worthwhile download, he has out LAX SAN SFO PDX PHX and BOS Also make sure you grab his LIB file which he links to in all his scenery.
GPB500 has scenery out specifically for the PE coverage area which you cna find on X-plane.org I suggest you get on his donation list, if you want, he then puts you in a mailing list for updates/new scenery. he doesn't do much on the org now.
(I'm on his list and its worth it personally)
NOAA is a Must. and also free.
I can't think of anything else right now thats free/cheap that is a "must" but the .org website has TONS of things to explore and learn.

Btw the menu in 10 is "hard" to get used to but don't give in, once you learn it, its intuitive and easy
D.E.Neely
XPlane Pilot
Scenery Designer
N2384L
rtataryn

Post by rtataryn »

Ditto on the above. I switched to X-plane exclusively about four years ago and love it. Double ditto on gpb500 scenery. He is a master airport designer with incredible attention to tiny details. Very reasonable cost for his amazing work. I also downloaded g2xpl ortho photo scenery at zoom level 17, which makes the sim experience much more realistic than stock X-plane scenery. It takes some time to download and requires a fair bit of hard drive space, but its well worth it.
Rod
PPL, Instrument, ASEL, ASES
2013 Cirrus SR22T N877MS
2018 Icon A5 N509BA
1946 Piper J3 Cub N7121H
1942 Stearman N2S N6848
Regent 013

Post by Regent 013 »

Rod, can you point me to a good starting point for the ortho's? I'm interested but have no clue where to start. Having better/cleaner scenery would be good!
D.E.Neely
XPlane Pilot
Scenery Designer
N2384L
superg3

Post by superg3 »

Thanks again.

X-plane installed and running very nice. The problem is to find a good trainner airplane, I was ussing on P3D the A2A Cessna 172, with all my saitek pro flight hardware (switches, multipanel. radios, etc) and I can not find something like A2A or maybe better. I also have 3 screens for the external view and another pc for the panel view, I would like to continue with this kind of settings. Any sugestion???

Thanks,

Marcos L.
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

superg3 wrote:Thanks again.

X-plane installed and running very nice. The problem is to find a good trainner airplane, I was ussing on P3D the A2A Cessna 172, with all my saitek pro flight hardware (switches, multipanel. radios, etc) and I can not find something like A2A or maybe better. I also have 3 screens for the external view and another pc for the panel view, I would like to continue with this kind of settings. Any sugestion???

Thanks,

Marcos L.
Someone else will have to answer your multiple monitor/PC question. Multiple monitors were not supported up to XP10. Rumor is that the support is either there or coming for XP11. I can't confirm or deny that at this point as I have not tried it yet.

If you want something A2A style, but better....... Look no further than the Airfoil Labs C172!
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS
Shawn Goldsworthy

Post by Shawn Goldsworthy »

Also +1 for the GPB500 scenery. A minimum 30 dollar donation gets you on his list and includes all future releases of his scenery. It currently includes 13 airports in Southern California. It is definitely payware quality stuff. The updated scenery is not available to the general public. It's a good list to be on.

Check out this video if you want a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4WcrX4tc6c
Shawn Goldsworthy
PilotEdge ATCS