Where to park and how to tell GRND where I am?

wesyin

Where to park and how to tell GRND where I am?

Post by wesyin »

Every now and then, X Plane starts and positions my aircraft at a ramp that has no name in the airport diagram. To request taxi, I need to concisely tell the ground controller where I am. How do I find out the name of the terminal or hanger next to me? If I cannot, can I say, for example, "near C7"?
Kyle.Sanders

Re: Where to park and how to tell GRND where I am?

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Perfectly acceptable to say "im at Charlie and Charlie 7"
Or.... "I'm just south of the GA hangers"
Or "I'm base of the tower"
Whatever "regular language" you can give to the controller so that he may find you and give you taxi instructions appropriately and keep you in sequence of other taxiing traffic.

Especially in low visibility situations where the controller must rely on your accurate position report and will not actually see you.
Kyle Sanders
wesyin

Re: Where to park and how to tell GRND where I am?

Post by wesyin »

Kyle.Sanders wrote:Perfectly acceptable to say "im at Charlie and Charlie 7"
Or.... "I'm just south of the GA hangers"
Or "I'm base of the tower"
Whatever "regular language" you can give to the controller so that he may find you and give you taxi instructions appropriately and keep you in sequence of other taxiing traffic.

Especially in low visibility situations where the controller must rely on your accurate position report and will not actually see you.
Perfect!

In PE, I wonder if the PE controllers use the same airport diagram (SkyVector / AirNav) or a different one that has more building names on it.