First PE flight

sono

First PE flight

Post by sono »

So I had my first flight tonight, thank you for a good experience and also to the controller who supported me to get going.

I did have the following questions. I filed an IFR plan from john wayne to john wayne with a request to fly the rnav 02. I did this after listening to the atis that said 02l and 02r was in use.

When I called up gnd after clearance i was given a taxi for a 20 take off, (even though the atis was still giving 02, it wasnt just a change of end due wind change..)

Did I set my client up incorrectly so I wasnt getting PE weather atis ? I had set the xplane 11 weather settings to real world weather

The other challenge I had was that the engine sound was loud in flight compared to the controller so I had trouble on two occassions hearing him properly, not sure how to balance that ?

I was flying the humble C172, xplane 11 on window 10.

My last challenge which was entirely my issue was my bluetooth headset battery quit in flight ( I spent an age actually getting ready on the ground..) and I had no way to contact the controller to let him know so felt bad about that. (on reflection I should have squawked 7600 and continued as cleared perhaps, rather than just disconnect..)

thank you for an amazing service
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
Kyle.Sanders

Re: First PE flight

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

Welcome to the network!

PE weather doesn't exists... as in- PE doesn't PUSH weather data to you.. PE controllers use real world data unless you tell them that you are using custom weather. I wouldn't suggest using your simulator ATIS... use this site ATIS http://myflightroute.com
The controllers use that and is what you can expect from them 99% of the time. (Be ready for change regardless)
Different airports have different operating procedures in real world and PE controllers know these operations. For example, you would need a +5 kt tail wind in order to switch from normal operations at John Wayne (RWY 20's) to the 02's. but your simulator ATIS will use whatever the wind favors regardless of local operations

Your audio issues.... I need to update the pictures here but go through this: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6564
Kyle Sanders
sono

Post by sono »

Thank you for your reply. Actually I found in xplane 11 that despite following all that the engine sound drowns out the controller in flight, I had to go to xplane 11 sounds menu and turn the "external aircraft" sound slider to about 20% to get a good balance.

I am disappointed to read your reply about the weather, part of the real world start up and also preparing for an IFR approach procedure to an airport is dialing up the ATIS.

You appear to be implying that is pointless which breaks the realism in a fairly big way.

Literally I have xplane set to real world weather so don't follow why that weather would be different in any way to what PE ATC would be using ?
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

sono wrote:You appear to be implying that is pointless which breaks the realism in a fairly big way.

Literally I have xplane set to real world weather so don't follow why that weather would be different in any way to what PE ATC would be using ?
Getting the ATIS is not pointless but you do have to understand the limitations of the X-plane ATIS system. When set to use real world weather the X-plane ATIS will reflect the weather as X-plane believes it to be. Which means that the winds, temperature, dew point, altimeter will be the true conditions that x-plane will be creating for you.

Further the X-plane ATIS system won't know about local operating rules. There are many airports that have a preferred runway but will only switch IF the tailwinds get above a certain level. Sometimes that level is fairly high.

As for how the weather could be different take for example the x-plane default weather refresh time of 1 hour. Just think how different the weather could be in an hour. Consider also that the online weather is also delayed depending upon source.

What many of us do is to get the simulator's ATIS. Use it to set the altimeter and plan for the take off runway. IF the controller assigns a runway with an unfavorable wind simply say something like, "Could you please verify the take off runway. I'm showing a 20 knot tail wind". Or Tell the controller that you are using custom weather and request a different runway.

In summary getting the ATIS is far from pointless. It is a good habit to get into (practice). It allows you to cross check the runway assignment with the conditions. Finally where else would you get the altimeter and temperature?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

X-Plane ATIS is good for weather (it is the weather for your sim, after all), but the runway in use might be different because xplane has no clue about real world traffic flows or runway use plans. For example, SFO doesn't depart runway 28L/R until it's blowing at least 20kts out of the west.

So, by all means tune the ATIS, but as others have said, be prepared for a different runway in use.
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

For weather, I have Active Sky in Perpar3d which you can hear on 122.00 on the comm radio or default ATIS if you dial up the local ATIS freq. I havent used ATIS in Xplane..but of them all I use the MyFlightRoute.com audio to listen to ATIS and get the identifier over all the weather options. Normally, I go to Skyvector.com first for preflight planning. This allows me to check winds aloft, any Mountain Obscuration and while there will pull up the weather at my airports that I will be using by putting the cursor over them.

I will then goto MyFlightRoute and put the departure and arrival airport codes in to se what time stamp that weather is to compare it to Skyvector and also to get the identifier I will be using for that hours weather. The audio WX reports on MyFlightRoute are top and very custom to each airport. All that said, weather is a changing factor and each airport as previously noted have their own individual things for runway assignment so one must always be prepared for a slight change.

Since you're an XPlane user, one of the coolest features I recently found for PE in XP is if you assign a joystick button as your mic key, you can click it 5 times fast and that action will connect you to PE and do it again when you are ready to disconnect. Flying in VR I find that very helpful and keeps the immersion level high.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

If you want an even more efficient way to connect/disconnect, we expose those as custom commands in xplane that you can map to any button or key, just like you'd map your flaps, gear, etc.
sono

Post by sono »

I realised I there was another surprise. I am a UK light aircraft private pilot (a bit rusty one). The John Wayne PE Ground controller wanted me to switch on my transponder on while I was still parked on the ramp. In the uk I have been taught to put that on standby until cleared for take off so switch it off standby to alt mode when entering the active runway here.

In the USA do you always switch it on before moving off from the ramp - alternatively it may be a big airport or is this PE specific thing ?

thank you for your helpful replies so far.
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
Kilstorm

Post by Kilstorm »

KSNA is a ASDE-X airport. You can ready about it here"
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/asde-x/

And you can see that the airport is ASDE-X by looking at the FAA Airport Diagram found here:
https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1704/pdf/00377AD.PDF

I pulled that pdf from Skyvector. Skyvector is a free site and very helpful for preflight with its various layers you can enable and its links to charts and weather reports.

"In the USA do you always switch it on before moving off from the ramp - alternatively it may be a big airport or is this PE specific thing ?"
No but it is required at ASDE-X airports. Since KSNA is in CLass C airspace, a transponder is required:
https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safet ... quirements

You are correct in how to normally keep the Transponder in STBY until short of the active at most small fields and then turning them off or back to STBY after landing and clear of the active at all non ASDE-X airports.
Nathan Palmer
Nantucket, MA
kullery

Post by kullery »

The most recent guidance on this in AIM 37.7.1.3 states:
37.7.1.3 Transponder and ADS-B operations on
the ground.
Civil and military aircraft should operate
with the transponder in the altitude reporting mode
(consult the aircraft’s flight manual to determine the
specific transponder position to enable altitude
reporting) and ADS-B Out transmissions enabled (if
equipped) at all airports, any time the aircraft is
positioned on any portion of an airport movement
area. This includes all defined taxiways and runways.
Pilots must pay particular attention to ATIS and
airport diagram notations, General Notes (included
on airport charts), and comply with directions
Ken Ullery - PPL-SEL, 1G5