X-Plane 11.01r1 with OBS: 30fps drop

uncertifiedpilot

X-Plane 11.01r1 with OBS: 30fps drop

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Hi everyone,

Just updated to 11.01r1 and experience a massive fps drop (60fps to 25fps) when running XP with OBS (streaming software).

Also, the OBS capture now stutters (even offline, without streaming to Twitch), making it impossible to stream (OBS indicates CPU usage of only 0.5%). The only thing I changed was the XP update from 11.00 to .01r1 (no other installations or changes, whatsoever).

Strangely, when I quit OBS while running XP, XP keeps running at 25fps. Also, when I start OBS prior to booting XP, the game capture functionality of OBS does not seem to work: OBS only displays a black screen. If I start XP first and OBS after, OBS is able to recognize XP but at the cost of a 30fps-drop.

However, using XP without OBS, gives me a solid 70fps.

I tried restarting, rebooting, resetting OBS, downgrading XP settings, ... Nothing solves the issue.

Anyone with similar experiences? Or suggestions? Greatly appreciated.

Tim
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube
Miniwebbs

Re: X-Plane 11.01r1 with OBS: 30fps drop

Post by Miniwebbs »

Maybe try to use X-Split (another streaming software) or revert x-plane back to a previous version (I don't know if this is possible but I would look into it). Usually when updates for x-plane come out I wait a couple days to hear if there are any major problems with it before updating. I learn't to do this during the XP11 public betas as there were many problems with updates that came out for the beta. I stayed on public beta 10 then waited for beta 17 to update because I had heard that there were many problems with the newer beta versions for x-plane. So just remember to wait a while before updating X-Plane to the latest version.
Amateur scenery developer and aviation enthusiast that hopes to be a pilot one day!

Current V Rating: Completed!
Current CAT Rating: Completed!
Current I Rating: n/a
Home Airport: YSSY

Catch me making scenery live!: https://www.twitch.tv/miniwebbs
Kyle.Sanders

Post by Kyle.Sanders »

I would suggest reporting this to OBS... they are really good about getting updates out.
Also report to LR.
Kyle Sanders
uncertifiedpilot

Post by uncertifiedpilot »

Thanks, guys.

Update 1: Narrowed down the issue and found the solution. If I run spad.next (third-party driver app for Saitek panels), XP11 and OBS work great together with no fps loss. When I close spad.next, after 2 seconds, I see the 30fps drop. However, this result suggest that OBS and my default Saitek drivers interfere... or seem to require significant resources from XP11 (OBS reads CPU usage of just 0.5%). No clue what's going on here.

Update 2: Found the fix, as suggested by another user at the .org. With XP11.01r01, OBS needs to run on OpenGL instead of DirectX11 (Advanced settings).
I use flight simulator to get Instrument Rated: www.uncertifiedpilot.com
Join my live streams on Twitch
Watch my previous flights on YouTube