New PC Build for X-Plane 11 exclusively

dvlourie

New PC Build for X-Plane 11 exclusively

Post by dvlourie »

OK guys, I need some advice. I am seriously thinking of replacing my somewhat dated PC for a new one since I switched last year exclusively to X-Plane. Now, I could tell you a fib and say I don't care about the eye-candy in X-Plane, just the great physics of flying. Being a real world pilot - (entirely GA) - I really enjoy the feel of X-Plane and YES- I want the eye-candy! Here's my dilemma...I could buy all the parts and put it all together, but big-boy responsibilities (work) doesn't allow for that. So, I have be looking and learning, and I found a company (no endorsement here) that builds PC's based on the demands of X-Plane. XForce PC is based in SC and I spoke with the owner today and was impressed with the truthfulness of his comments. My questions:

1. Has anyone had any experience with this company?
2. Does anyone have any suggestions for custom builds or maybe a different brand?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
wmburns

Re: New PC Build for X-Plane 11 exclusively

Post by wmburns »

Just wondering how old your current PC and graphics card is.

What are the basic specs of the PC that you are considering?

What kind of frame rates do you see now. What are you expectations regarding post upgrade frame rates?

Are you opposed to partially building your own PC? For example a complete working PC with Win10 64 bit OS but adding your own Graphics card?

What kind of a budget do you have? Are you interested in saving some $$?
dvlourie

Post by dvlourie »

wmburns

I appreciate the response and apologize for the delay...currently running a 4 years old AMD based Win 10 Pro 64 bit with 32GB Ram and a 1070TI GPU with 4gb ram...I can squeeze avg of 30 out but i would like to not have to sacrifice much in terms of "eye-candy".....being a real world pilot I find XP to have much better flight dynamics than anything I have tried before (almost 20 years of simming)...but I do want to enjoy the flights with possible Ortho style scenery and I like having my own airports using WED.

looking at:
Intel I-7
500GB SSD
32 Ram
1080TI with 11gb ram

My expectations are plus 30 to 35 with any setting i want....

realistic??
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

At one point in time I wanted to create a dual X-plane set up with one PC handling external visuals and the other displaying only the dash. Started pulling parts together and built a Z97 system based upon an MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition mother board. It's a complete PC with case, i5 CPU, 8GB memory, 128GB SSD, HD. I have since abandoned these plans which leaves me with a high end PC without a good mission for it to do.

What I'm trying to see is if we could help each other out. Save you some $$ on the PC and allow you to spend more on other parts that will improve the sim experience.

It seems to me that I need to convince you of a few things. Namely:
  • For mainly single threaded applications such as X-plane the money is better spent on an i5 CPU instead of an i7 CPU
  • Having tons more GB RAM won't make X-plane run better.
  • Having tons more VRAM that what's needed to load X-plane won't make X-plane run better.
  • If given the choice, spend the more on a better single graphic card. Do not use SLI
  • If budget allows spend more on the monitor. I'm using a 40" 4k TV as a monitor. For gaming it's not so good. For X-plane it works great.
  • super high frame rates don't always improve the sim experience (unless this is VR). The trick is the get the frame rate above a certain point and keep it there.
  • 128GB SSD will hold the OS and the US version of X-plane. I have done tests. It doesn't make that much difference using a regular HD for storing X-plane. The best bang for the buck comes from using an SSD for the OS.
  • IMO one of the best upgrades I did for my home sim was adding rudder pedal, yoke, dual throttle, and radio stack. Money well spent.
If you have any interest in coming to a deal let me know.
Last edited by wmburns on Wed May 17, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Having tons more VRAM that what's needed to load X-plane won't make X-plane run better.
Disagree. Visual models for other aircraft are getting a lot more detailed. The new HD CSLs have 1k, 2k, and in some case, 4k textures which add up very quickly. That, and the model geometry takes VRAM as well since it's stored on the card as well.

I have 16GB of RAM and routine hit my swap space with the OS, Chrome and X-Plane alone. I'd make the move to 32GB in a heartbeat.

I think a yoke is a mistake unless you are getting a Precision Flight Controls yoke or something of that level of quality, which is close to $1000 right out of the gate. For $66, a Thrustmaster T-16000M absolutely destroys CH and Saitek yokes which are typically thought of as the go-to model. The reality is that they don't have the precision afforded by a joystick with hall effect sensors, or a super high-end yoke.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Keith Smith wrote:Disagree. Visual models for other aircraft are getting a lot more detailed. The new HD CSLs have 1k, 2k, and in some case, 4k textures which add up very quickly. That, and the model geometry takes VRAM as well since it's stored on the card as well.
I think this actually validates one of the points that I was trying to make regarding WHERE to spend a greater percentage of the $$. IE put more into the graphics card and less into a i7 CPU and an SSD large enough to handle everything. IMO the case could be made to buy the best single graphics card that your budget will allow.

Keith, Didn't you get a fairly high end card not too long ago (maybe years)? Are you looking to upgrade? Do you use your PC for other functions such as video rendering?
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

To OP. I'm going to assume that you are not interested. This PC is too good of a PC to be collecting dust. I'm planning to re-deploy as a Windows Home server this weekend. It's an over kill for the job but better than gathering dust. Thanks anyway.
dvlourie

Post by dvlourie »

I appreciate the offer and apologize for the delay....real world work has gotten a little crazy these past few weeks....I will pass as I just got my parts for the new build tonight...so three days off this weekend and three days to build and play! Thanks though for the offer and the input. I appreciate it!