Piper Warrior models, real world training, and X-Plane 11

tgray106

Piper Warrior models, real world training, and X-Plane 11

Post by tgray106 »

Anyone having issues with the Carenado Cherokee model in the latest X-Plane 11?

I train real world in a Warrior III and figured the Cherokee would be best to use in XP11 (I also created a copy and bumped the HP down to match the Warrior), but something went wonky with the Cherokee model and I'm not getting the engine noise and other weird little issues. Even the Tomahawk is having issues.

Does anyone use X-Plane + PE for training and trains real world in a Warrior or something similar? What do you use in the sim? I did my first flight last night in a 172 and not being able to see the same was driving me nuts.

And also, even before the update, I was running X-Plane 10 and the Cherokee was constantly rolling to the right and the AoA was always a little high for normal cruise. I'm trying to get better with trimming and visually getting the horizon right, so it's a little annoying to have to deal with those inconsistencies. I know it's still a sim and you can adjust views, but I dunno. One of those little things. I also can't find any good 3D warrior models out there.
webstalle

Re: Piper Warrior models, real world training, and X-Plane 1

Post by webstalle »

Hi,

I use the Archer from vFlyteAir, as well as the Grumman. I'm also a R/W VFR rated pilot with a preference for low wing.

I think the flight model is quite close to that of a real plane. Be advised, I use Yoke and Rudder with control loading (Force Feedback), so flying those planes in XP11 might feel different cmpared to Yokes like Saitek.

Blue skies

Friedhelm
XP 1153, Win 10 64bit
FAA PPL
I-11, CAT-11,
A2Z ZLA #35, WUS #13, AZ #5
4x( i9-9900k), 4 x nVidia 2080 Ti/1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4) CLS-E-Yoke/Rudder, VTF G1000
http://www.twitch.tv/webstalle
XP Settings: Effects: Max, Text: max, 4xSSAA, Obj: High, Ref: High
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

When you try to replicate the exact airplane you fly in real life, it's almost always going to fall short in one way or another. For that reason, I wouldn't be shy about swapping to another airplane (with similar peformance to the Warrior). The stock 172 in XP11 is a really solid airplane, I'd recommend it in a heartbeat.

Otherwise, Jason Chandler's flight models (air.c74.net) are very good and the price can't be beat (it's around $1 per model!). I haven't tried the vFlyteAir Warrior, so I can't say either way.

The minute you starting trying to find 'your' airplane, you're setting yourself up for disappointment and you'll be hyper sensitive to the differences, down to the knot.
tgray106

Post by tgray106 »

Thanks guys! I figured I was kinda picky about finding the right plane, but the air.c47.net stuff by Jason are awesome, and I like how he walks you through an easy adjustment of the cockpit panels. I actually never knew how to do that in Plane Maker, so it'll actually be nice configuring a panel to match what I'm used to. I thought the way it flew and speeds I was getting were a little more similar too to what I'm used to.
BFG

Post by BFG »

I also train in a Warrior and use Jason's model for my sim work. I find it's very close to the real numbers. And you can't beat he price for the number of planes you get with the package. As Keith and the controllers know I use his Saratoga on the network all the time as well.
flyingdrill

Post by flyingdrill »

tgray:

Carenado's version of the PA28 was an Archer. Just knocking the HP back a bit won't work, because X-Plane's "way" of simulating flying is a bit too complex for that. Also, go and look at an Archer of that vintage, and you will see that it's not quite the same as the Warrior! The engine cover is different for one thing - it does not open like a Warrior's does. It comes off in one piece, and (unlike the Warrior), one usually just checks the oil through a hinged access flap, rather than opening the whole engine to view! Also the 0-320 and 0-360 engines don't weigh the same, and the Archer is a heavier plane than the Warrior.

The rolling to the right has been a bit of an X-Plane problem on some planes (worse in X-Plane 9), and I agree that Carenado's Archer could have that tendency. That model was made several years ago, and its flying characteristics did not seem to be adjusted as it went through versions. Just tap the appropriate key for aileron trim to adjust the roll out. I never found that rolling tendency in cruise in real Warriors (provided they were rigged well), but I do remember flying one version that had electric aileron trim fitted. There were two "things" with that plane. The first was that the aileron trim was placarded as non-operational (!), and the second was that it didn't need it anyway!

Carenado's rpm, knots and so on never quite matched the real plane, but it does get close enough for it to be reasonable. Also, you may get variations with different props., and an owner may have changed the original one.

The V-Flyte Warrior is OK. I've used it quite a bit, but haven't paid too much attention to its exact "numbers"!

Good luck with your training.