Texture size fatal error in X-Plane 9.7 and plugin 1.3.1p

anam

Texture size fatal error in X-Plane 9.7 and plugin 1.3.1p

Post by anam »

I'm running X-Plane 9.7 (on PFC commercial hardware that doesn't yet support XP10/11) and just upgraded from a solidly working 1.2.2 plugin setup. It was a fresh install of the plugin, having deleted all old plugin files and CSLs on both master and visual PCs (visual runs 3 screens/instances).

Within a minute or so after connecting via the plugin, when I fly close to a controlled airport (presumably with a 172 in there somewhere), X-Plane pops up the following "advisory" on the master PC:
Trying to create a texture either less than 1 or greater than 2048!
Resources/plugins/PilotEdge/VSPro Resources/CSL/Cessna 172/cockpit.dds
value: 4096
(TEX_obj.cpp line 27)
Unfortunately this crashes the master PC. I assume the problem is X-Plane 9.7 must not support 4096 textures? I suppose I can downsample all of the new CSL textures but if this is the case, it should be noted on the download page that the CSL models are not natively compatible with X-Plane 9.x. I didn't have any problems with some F-18s I encountered.

What might be a quicker and easier solution? Would the CSLs even be necessary on the master PC (used as an instructor operating station)?

Also, since this is my first post, just wanted to thank Keith, his staff, and the community for developing PE to the fantastic resource it is today!
Keith Smith

Re: Texture size fatal error in X-Plane 9.7 and plugin 1.3.1

Post by Keith Smith »

I just tackled this with a flight school running a similar setup. I can provide you with alternate versions of the CSLs for xplane v9 this week. This issue, as you suspect, is that xp9 doesn't support 4k textures.

If you need an immediate solution, you can resize the DDS textures that are 8MB or greater in size (those are the ones that are 4k textures), and delete any PNGs (the 'normal' textures) which are 4k.

Windows explorer lets you search for files by filesize and by resolution, ie. you can search for ".png width=4096" or "dds size > 9MB"

The CSLs on the master can all be deleted, I suspect. However, you're going to run into the same issue on the visuals (assuming they're running xp9.x)
anam

Post by anam »

I'm happy to wait for alternate versions. Thanks Keith!
anam

Post by anam »

Any luck, Keith?
anam

Post by anam »

I followed your instructions but still ran into an offending Cirrus texture (must have still somehow been ~5MB) on the visuals computer while entering the pattern to a towered field. This caused the visuals to crash but left the master going (since I removed all the CSLs from that machine).

Interesting way to go into inadvertent IMC :P. I was finishing a CAT rating so I didn't ask for an instrument approach. Synthetic Vision saved me!

On a related note, with the prior version of the PE plugin I had no issues with G1000 traffic integration. With the new version, when there is no other traffic on the map, it shows a ghost/echo of my own position (on top of my aircraft's position at +0 altitude). When another aircraft is in the area, it will show that instead and the ghost will disappear. The ghost only occurs in the air, not on the ground. Any ideas what code might have caused this change in behavior?