No Communications

msmith3972

No Communications

Post by msmith3972 »

I was doing the CAT 10 last night, and as I'm about to contact Santa Monica tower I lost all comms with the controllers. After repeated attempts and different frequencies I set the transponder to 7600 and landed at van nuys. Today, I again cannot get comms working. I tried a few different planes and multiple restarts but nothing. I finally tried to delete the pilotedge folder and copied it back to my xplane directory and I could again hear the controller. Unfortunately my problem with the frame rates on the G1000 cessna came back, but whatever. I switched to the default C172 and put down my headset for a minute to get ready for the flight. when I came back, comms were again not working. What gives?
Keith Smith

Re: No Communications

Post by Keith Smith »

I would check the voltage level and make sure you're getting a good charge from the alternator.

If you can replicate the dead comms, then check your voltage level (through the data inputs/outputs screen) and report back here.
N2114J

Post by N2114J »

Hi, Keith. Same issue as msmith3972 (squawked 7600 on my CAT-05 tonight and landed at Bakersfield Muni instead of Meadows). Flying the stock 172 in XP 11.11 with Desktop Aviator switch panel & GNS430 head, plus the RXP GTN750 on a 10" touchscreen, and a VRinsight MCP. I'll check battery voltage and charge inputs/outputs. Has been working flawlessly until tonight. Only change I made was to start with the engine running (usually start cold and dark), but all switches were set properly on my switch panel. One more clue is that the local controller said I was transmitting on 121.5, but I have the comm transmit input/output on the screen and it was showing the proper frequency and setting for comm1 (also matched the GTN750 and VRinsight MCP). Hmmmmm. I'll see if I can replicate. We'll get it fixed! BTW, I'm really enjoying the service (controller who has been working local and Socal in the afternoon Pacific time is the hardest working controller in the business, she was crazy busy the past couple of nights). Regards -- Dana
N2114J

Post by N2114J »

Just saw some more posts with this issue. I'll keep a close eye on the battery and alternator. I'll also watch my idle rpm. Will report back. Thanks!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

There was a voice server outage this evening, see the main forum: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7736
N2114J

Post by N2114J »

Yikes. Thanks for the heads-up, Keith. I'm glad that was resolved. I'll check the rest of the forums next time (but, I will keep an eye on batt & gen I/O's on my sim). p.s. Enjoyed meeting you last year at FlightSimCon (sorry I mistakenly called you Austin...no offense : )
N2114J

Post by N2114J »

Hi, Keith. All good last night. Generator was putting out about 17 volts and battery was showing 24-26 volts. Is that nominal?
p.s. More great controllers yesterday. Can't wait to do more of the CAT ratings (had done most of the BVATC PRP series)
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I suspect you mean that that the alternator/generator had a 17amp load (not volts).

That's the first BVATC PRP series I've seen referenced in a while. They developed that progression with my permission, based on the ratings I developed for VATSIM. So, if they feel familiar, that's why :)