X-Plane 11, PE, FlyQ and ADS-B

bdeweese

X-Plane 11, PE, FlyQ and ADS-B

Post by bdeweese »

Greetings! FlyQ recently went through a major update (3.0) and I have really been enjoying using it with x-plane 11. If you’re a student pilot, you can get your first year VFR subscription for only $20, making it a pretty good bang for the buck too! (Btw, I’m in no way affiliated with the developer). So I was curious if I couid make the ADS-B feature work with PE. I saw a post from someone else referencing that FlyQ worked with PE by using the same modifications to the VSOProTrafficRelay.ini file as FF - but I had some issues getting it all working. I thought I’d post here so as to perhaps save someone else some time.

First off, be sure to go to your iOS settings - privacy->location services - and turn location services OFF/NEVER for FlyQ. This will prevent the issue of your device’s built in GPS (if you have it) from replacing your sim location with your real world location. That was annoying until I figured that out.

Next - Go to your network tab in xp11->iOS/iPad tab and remove any ip address entries you have in the first section. No idea why - especially since the first section is specifically for Xavion and FlyQ - but I couid never get ADS-B to work for me using this section. Once the first section is clear of entries, go to the next section (3rd party apps) and check the box that says “Broadcast to all 3rd party apps on the network”. That’s it - you should be good to go as far as xp11 settings are concerned.

Now, go to your xp11 folder -> Resources/Plugins/PilotEdge/VSProResources and rename VSProTrafficRelay.bak to VSProTrafficRelay.ini. Open that file with notepad (or any text editor) and change the IP address to match that of your WiFi network - but ending in 255. You can go to your WiFi connection on your iOS device and click on the little “i”/information button to see your ip address. If it’s 192.168.1.xxx, then put 192.168.1.255 in the first line of the file. If your WiFi is 192.168.0.xxx, then use 192.168.0.255, and so on. Once done - save that file.

Fire up xp11, log in to PE, and launch FlyQ EFB 3.0 on your phone or tablet (or both)! Assuming all is correct - you should now see any PE traffic on your map display(s)! I love not only hearing other traffic and seeing other planes in the air, but now being to see that same traffic on my EFB - making the sim/PE experience about as real as it can get. (Be sure you go to a location that has some active traffic to test it - depending on your PE subscription, LAX or one of the other bigger cities in the Western US should be fine).

If I’ve missed any steps here, or posted any erroneous info please let me know so I can fix my post accordingly. This is working flawlessly for me - but YMMV. Thanks Keith for a truly remarkable service in PilotEdge!!!