Transmitting on Com1 or Com2 in Xplane 11 works ok?

sono

Transmitting on Com1 or Com2 in Xplane 11 works ok?

Post by sono »

So I was watching the I-1 rating video that Keith did some time back (2016).

He mentions an issue in xplane 10 - that in if you wish to switch the box you are transmitting on using the airplane intercom buttons that does not switch correctly as it should. The work around described by Keith is to have a key map to switch it when using pilotedge.

I hadnt been using com2 in xplane with pilotedge at all so far, but as I am now about to start the i ratings I figured it was important to get this working properly.

I just did a quick check for the first time on xplane 11 with a Seminole and I did a radio check on both box1 and box 2 with different frequences at KVNY (ground and clearance) using the airplane intercom. (Thank you to the controller that helped me if you are reading this)

I didnt play with any keyboard mappings and use the fire button on the joystick to transmit and it worked just fine.

So just a quick check that this issue described by Keith is resolved in xplane 11 so you dont have to do any keyboard mapping to switch box to transmit on as it seems to work fine for this quick test I did.

Thank you
Last edited by sono on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PE CAT-11, I-11, SKY-8
EASA and FAA (61.75) Private ASEL AMEL Instrument
Keith Smith

Re: Transmitting on Com1 or Com2 in Xplane 11 works ok?

Post by Keith Smith »

I would suggest testing this by setting your COM1 to a non-ATC freq (122.75 or 123.45). Then, set your COM2 to VNY ground or clearance and try to give them a call if you want to see if you're actually transmitting on COM2.

Setting both radios to a freq that is covered by a single person is not a great way to test it.
rancherobob

Post by rancherobob »

I've been struggling with the Com 1/Com2 issue. Here's what I found:

Using the default XP11 radios there is no way of getting the active Xmit to switch between Com1 and Com2. Same thing using the Sim Innovations Com panels. Bought a GoFlight P8 button panel, found it won't work or even be detected under XP11. Bought the PolyPot software and it works well with it. Took Keith's advice and enabled item 96 in the Data Output/Shoe in Cockpit. For the first time I could see the XMit change between the values of 6 and 7 as it should. Called in for radio check in PE switched between Twr, Gnd and Apr (talked to Keith, I believe) but was told that both Com1 and Com2 were coming in to the same place. Switched Com2 to a CTAF frequency as requested but was not being heard by PE ATC. Not sure if this is a full and exhaustive test, but I didn't want to tie up the frequencies with debugging. Can't conclude that PE is correctly handling Com1 and Com2.

Be willing to follow a more thorough test protocol to get o the bottom of this.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Can't conclude that PE is correctly handling Com1 and Com2.
PE handles com1 and com2 correctly. The issue is that many planes don't have an easy way to tell xplane which radio you're using for transmissions.

You can configure this in xplane manually using the "transmit audio: com1" and "transmit audio: com2" commands (under Navigation & Radios : Audio Panel) in xplane.

If it's not convenient to do, then I wouldn't sweat it a great deal and would limit your transmissions to using com1.