Com Radio Issue

Steven Winslow

Com Radio Issue

Post by Steven Winslow »

Quick bug report: After passing the I-9 rating tonight, I decided to do some pattern work at KSMX. The radio frequencies worked perfectly at SMX. After three touch and go's, I decided to take a VFR trip over to KBFL. Switching from SMX tower to SBA departure went well, then to LA Center, then to BFL approach. But when I was told to switch from BFL approach (118.8) to BFL tower (118.1) the controller told me I had not switched frequencies. So I punched the active/standby button again (I fly with the Saitek Radio Panels) and realized that I had indeed switched frequencies and had just switched back to BFL approach. After switching again to BFL tower, apparently it still showed me on BFL approach. The controller suggested pausing X-Plane, disconnecting from PE, then reconnecting. After reconnecting, according to the controller, PE showed me talking to SBA departure, even though the frequency on my radio panel and on the radio display in my plane displayed 118.1. I'm flying 9.70 on a Mac Mini, OSX 10.6.8. This is the first bug I've experienced on PE. Thanks for your help.
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Steven Winslow

Re: Com Radio Issue

Post by Steven Winslow »

I'm embarrassed to admit I solved the problem. The problem was pilot error. I had switched my Saitek panel from COM 1 to COM 2 to get ATIS and forgot to switch back COM 1. When I changed frequencies, I was changing them on COM 2, rather than COM1. It's always a learning process on PilotEdge!
Steven Winslow
CEO/Owner - Air Northwest Virtual Airlines • http://www.airnorthwest.org
People should get what they want when they want it once in a while. Keeps them optimisitic.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Steve,

Sorry I hadn't gotten around to looking at this yet, but I did suspect a com1/2 issue. We'll be adding real support for com1 and com2 in the near future. It's high up on the development list.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Steve, What I really like is that you admitted making mistake in PE Forums. I know that not that many guys have the courage to do that... clapping hands for you.

I made many mistakes so far and also openly talk about it, we learn so much here..... I can also tell the difference between the day I opened my mouth on PE and today. :D

Have a great Sunday and see you in the air soon.

Cheers, AJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

AJ, you've come a very long way, it's been impressive. I know you don't mind me saying that because you started from scratch with voice comms (you were text only on vatsim prior to this).

Steve, really nothing to be embarrassed about. It's a subtle issue. I'm just glad you posted it so that readers could see the resolution to the problem.
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Keith, of course I do not mind you saying that, I will always remember that YOU encouraged me to try using voice despite my hearing problem which I would never consider on my own.
Yes, I remember the "text" times, it was so easy, you never miss a transmission but at the same time, this is not what is happening in real life ....
Something interesting in my opinion also happened .... after this short period of learning on PE, using VATSIM in voice mode is not even scary any more.
Just recently, I reproduced your flight from Caldwell to Cape May with Hudson River Exclusion under class Bravo and the Kennedy Center was online, he kept me flying at certain altitude and later on cleared me for frequency change to air to air and VFR below 1300 for transient operation as per NYSFRA Hudson River and East River Exclusion rules.
It felt fantastic to be able to see the rules apply in flight and not to be scared .... thank you so much again.
I also hope that you do not mind me saying thank so many times in public but if not you and PE, I would never use voice ....

Sorry for such a long reply and off topic, I hope PE users will understand... :)
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

...what about opening a sticky post for "Pilot mistakes"? All pilots can benefit...I can start contributing immediately myself :D
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

Believe it or not, I like the idea. I would be the second one to share my mistakes but I am not sure how many pilots would do that...if it is OK with Keith, go ahead and make a post, I will contribute .... :D
DrZGard

Post by DrZGard »

arb65912 wrote:Believe it or not, I like the idea. I would be the second one to share my mistakes but I am not sure how many pilots would do that...if it is OK with Keith, go ahead and make a post, I will contribute .... :D
I like this idea. Let's create something like a "Never Again" column or "Mistakes I don't have to learn in a real plane now thanks to PE". I have a few to share.
Regards,
Dr. Zane Gard
ASEL IFR

AOPA #00915027
EAA #825848
American Mensa #100314888
arb65912

Post by arb65912 »

OK, since I saw at least two pilots interested , I go ahead and create the Post.
If Keith decides to make it sticky, great, if not, we will see how many pilots can contribute.
It will be in Pilots Sub Forum with the title: " Never again on PE and in real flying"

I might modify my first post as I remember another mistake.