No Audio in USB Headset

aHansson

No Audio in USB Headset

Post by aHansson »

Hi!

I am having some issues with audio in the X-plane client. Whenever I choose my Plantronics USB headset as the output device my radios go completely silent. I can hear the radios fine if I route the sound to my speakers, but nothing comes out of my headset. The mic seems to work fine however as I did a flight last night without any complaints on my transmissions.

The headset is selected as the primary communications output device in windows and works fine in other applications (media, discord, flying/controlling on other networks etc.) so this seems to somehow be caused by the PE client. I've tried rebuilding the VSProSound.ini file as described in another thread, but with no success.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Marcus Becker

Re: No Audio in USB Headset

Post by Marcus Becker »

I use A Plantronics headset as well. I have found a solution that works for me and I'm curious as if it will work for you so please send me back your results.
In your WIndows sound settings, right click the Plantronics device and select "Properties". Select the "Advanced" tab and change the quality down to the lowest setting and try again. If it works on the lowest setting, go back in the the settings and bump it up until you find your limit. Strangely, it worked for me and I hope it works for you!
aHansson

Post by aHansson »

That worked! Interestingly, after changing to a lower setting I now get audio on the highest setting which didn't give me any audio before... Oh well, started a flight just now and all seemed to be well. Thanks for the tip!

Speaking of Plantronics headsets, have you ever experienced that the audio "dips" or even completely disappears when high strength audio is played? The best way I can describe it is as if the headset is trying to prevent excessive volume, but sometimes it seems overly restrictive. I had to turn down the headset volume quite a bit to prevent it from "spiking over the edge" when flying as it seems to be very sensitive to the VHF effect.
Marcus Becker

Post by Marcus Becker »

Fantastic news!

I have not had any spiking but I don't run the volume that high, ever.