Adding an HSI to Piper Arrow

Tommar98

Adding an HSI to Piper Arrow

Post by Tommar98 »

Hello Gang: I am new to this. Purchased X-Plane 11 and a Piper Arrow III from VFlyteAir. I am looking to add an HSI to the panel so the plane matches what I fly for my real world training. I cant seem to see how to do this. Any help would be appreciated. I'm all set up to start with PilotEdge for ATC practice, just want to complete this panel issue.
Keith Smith

Re: Adding an HSI to Piper Arrow

Post by Keith Smith »

This advice might surprise you but I'd suggest not trying to chase down an exact replicate of what you fly in the world. If anything, you'll be more sensitive to inaccuracies in the performance behaviors and it will drive you bananas. If you'd like to practice IFR procedures using an HSI, X-Plane's stock Baron has an HSI (that's the airplane I fly, too). "But I don't fly a twin!" in real life. you might say. Well, me neither. Just map the throttle to a single lever and treat it like a single. Besides, a twin is just like a single, until it actually becomes a single, at which point, you have to know how to fly a twin :) Aviation is full of ironies.

In other news, I'm not sure what avionics are in the Arrow you have now, but assuming it's a standard CDI for NAV1 and NAV2 with a standard heading indicator...if you can fly THAT, then the HSI will be breeze. The opposite is not true....if you've ONLY flown HSI's then a traditional CDI is a bit more challenging as it lacks the heading indicator aspect and requires more situational awareness.
Tommar98

Re: Adding an HSI to Piper Arrow

Post by Tommar98 »

Ken:

I use an HSI in real world. I can use the NAV 1 with GS and LOC. Interestingly though when I was shooting actual approaches this past weekend I momentarily screwed up looking for localizer intercept on NAV 1 when in fact it was on the HSI. I had what my instructor called "negative transference." I had been practicing in the sim with the NAV 1 as my primary and not the HSI. I'd rather try and get it to more closely resemble what I am using. The GPS in the sim is pretty comparable. The difference with the twin is the speed at which things happen. Probably not that big a deal, so maybe I'll give it a try.