Disconnected mid-flight

Alderman

Re: Disconnected mid-flight

Post by Alderman »

I think PE could handle this better, starting with an pop-up alert of some sort, and/or an audio alert about the coverage area. Maybe give a temporary grace of 2-3 minutes for those folks and only if crossing while airborne? Nice way to upsell and better communicate the reason you're being disconnected.

I don't have this issue since I see the value in having both areas with my subscription.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

All of those were considered when initially designing the system, including making controllers aware of the upcoming disconnection so they could address it with the pilot (this was quickly dismissed). They all represent quite a bit of work for relatively little return. The pop-ups are a non-starter in FAA-approved sims where our software is used extensively. If a pilot attempts to reconnect once they're outside of their coverage area, the error message is descriptive enough that it should give them an idea of what's going on.

Once users have been made aware of this once, they form a solid understanding of where the boundary is and then plan accordingly.
RogerW

Post by RogerW »

Same thing happens to me at Marble Canyon L41. It's right on the edge of ZLA. Land on runway 03 and pull off to the ramp at the north end and you are still connected. Start taxiing to the building at the north end of the ramp and you will be disconnected before you get there. I wish they would stretch it out a couple miles right there but oh well, :lol: I'm sure it's a lot of work to do that!
Roger W.
Home: Valkaria, Fl (X59)
PE Rating: CAT-11, I-2
Real World hrs 7, Virtual hrs thousands
FSX
Aircraft: A2A Cessna 182 Skylane
Tail Number: N7365W
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCitoWL ... bagrJnQyrw