Improve ATC Sound?

pfarber

Improve ATC Sound?

Post by pfarber »

The PE client didn't let me pick my audio source, so to get it to work, I had to remove a lot of devices so the headset would be the only one on the list.

So I can hear the ATC but its poor quality.

I muted the engine noise to try and isolate the ATC better, but so far the audio/ATC has been far from usable.

Any tips?
Kevin_atc

Re: Improve ATC Sound?

Post by Kevin_atc »

No need to unplug everything. You just need to make sure you’re selecting your headset as your default communication device within windows sound as outlined here. https://www.pilotedge.net/pages/connect-xplane

What do you mean by “poor quality?” Is there a lot of static? Maybe you’re too far away from the transmitter. To test the quality appropriately, position yourself at an airport and tune that airport’s ground or tower frequency. If you have a different airport’s frequency dialed in, you may hear a lot of static.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
pfarber

Post by pfarber »

I had my sound/headphones tweaked pretty heavily with EQ and surround etc.

The one ATC call I got was audibly poor and I need to readjust my eq/sound. ATIS was OK, or at least understandable. I'll enable all my settings and see if the audio get better.

If they don't allow selection of the audio devices, and default to the system defaults, why even have the combo box listing things you can't use??? The directions for install into Xplane11 on WIndows also doesn't make note of this.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The input device is specified at the OS level. People typically don't use one mic for one application and a different mic for something else (simultaneously). Hence, we didn't see a need to override the operating system selection of the input device.

For OUTPUT, it's a little different. It's common to have the speakers outputting engine/ambient audio while ATC is routed over the headset. Prior to Windows introducing the concept of a 'default communications device' separate to the 'default device', the only option was to allow the user to select the playback device on a per app basis. That's what the Preferences menu was built for, to allow you to split the ATC audio from the ambient audio before the days of Windows having the option to specify a comms device separate to the main output device.

Regarding the audio quality, make sure you don't have the X-Plane "radios" volume (in the Sounds menu) more than about 50-60%, otherwise it becomes over modulated.