How do I look... as custom plane to other pilots, I mean?

colinl

How do I look... as custom plane to other pilots, I mean?

Post by colinl »

If I have a custom downloaded plane - in my case, the Aerobask Diamond DA-62 for Xplane, how would I appear to other pilots? I'm assuming that most other xplane users would not have that custom plane installed, and I'm not sure if other simulators have that type as well. Given that ATC sometimes advises others to watch for traffic specifically by the type, how does it all work, or is there a 'default skin' that just shows up on other folks' monitors?

Curious.

Thanks!
Keith Smith

Re: How do I look... as custom plane to other pilots, I mean

Post by Keith Smith »

The ICAO code that you use when you connect is the determining factor for drawing your aircraft in other sims. The aircraft they have installed (in XPlane) will have no bearing on how your plane draws, it's 100% determined by the best match in the CSL library. The CSL library will use a direct match if there is one, otherwise it makes its best effort to find the closest match based on known aircraft size, number of engines, engine type, etc. The DA62 didn't exist when the list of aircraft types was created (ie needs to be refreshed), so you'll like just see a C172 instead, which is the fallback aircraft for drawing.
colinl

Re: How do I look... as custom plane to other pilots, I mean

Post by colinl »

What? Others will see me as a lowly C172 when I have a swanky, shiny new DA62? Just kidding. I fly a cheap C162 in real life so who am I to judge, yah?

Thanks for that info. I wasn't able to find any definitive answer online on how these simulators would figure out how to render a "remote" plane. Glad that the code logic tries to find an approximate match.