Massive Framerate Drop when connected to the network.

asc928

Massive Framerate Drop when connected to the network.

Post by asc928 »

So yesterday I figured I would have a go at the CAT Ratings and got set up in XP11 for my CAT-01 flight. Hopped in the default XP11 C172 and was getting around 50 fps. After connecting to the pilotedge network I noticed a massive framerate drop down to about 12 fps. I've never had this problem in pilotedge before so I disconnected, frames went back to normal. Reconnected and experienced the same drop. I viewed another forum post explaining similar symptoms the difference is I am not using Foreflight (unfortunately). If any one has any advice I'd appreciate it.
Keith Smith

Re: Massive Framerate Drop when connected to the network.

Post by Keith Smith »

I know you're mentioned that you're not using FF, but can you open your PilotEdge_out.txt file and verify that it's NOT finding a VSProTrafficRelay.ini file?

Other than that, I'm not sure why you'd get such a large frame drop. There is normally no perceivable change in frame rate when connecting to the sim. The visual models are loaded in a background thread by the sim, so even the initial visual model loads shouldn't hurt the frame rate.

To see if it's traffic related or not, can you try connecting to PE in an area with no other traffic, such as Florida, NY, Europe, etc?
asc928

Post by asc928 »

Here is a link to the PilotEdge_out.txt file. I looked through it and noticed a mention of a traffic relay file but did not see that it was finding that specific file mentioned in your reply. I will attempt to reconnect later tonight and troubleshoot a little more.

https://pastebin.com/TCrXxwCK
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Traffic relay file definitely not in play, so we can rule that out. Only thing I can think of is running low on VRAM as a result of loading the additional aircraft models when flying in the coverage areas. Connecting in an area with 0 traffic will likely reveal that issue.

If that's the case, try bringing your texture resolution in xplane down one level, that should half the VRAM usage. Then, reload the sim and reconnect to PE within the coverage area (ie, same place where you had the frame drop last time).
asc928

Post by asc928 »

I appreciate all of your help. I followed your suggestions and loaded in New York, still using the same aircraft (default C172 G1000) and the frame rate drop still occurred. I ruled out traffic being a problem in this instance. I decided to switch up the aircraft and see if that would yield any results and luckily to my avial it did. I connected and tested around 5 other aircraft and did not notice a drop in frames with them. I will be avoiding the default C172 w/G1000 until I can find the problem in that. Either way, I have other aircraft to fly so my feelings aren't hurt. Again thank you for your help!
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're welcome. We've heard of the frame rate drop in the G1000 172 for one other customer, however, I haven't been able to replicate it, and many other people do not experience the issue either. It's unclear what the root cause is. Another thing to test would be reducing the number of AI aircraft to 0 (this is done in the aircraft selection screen in xplane) as that may effect TCAS functionality on the G1000. Otherwise, if you're good with flying another aircraft, then that's a solution, too.