Linux+Wine not too stable :/

jollyroger

Linux+Wine not too stable :/

Post by jollyroger »

Well I guess this is anything but supported but I tried to run X-Plane windows version using Wine on my linux box since the graphics card is much better than on my macbook. I'm not sure if it was X-Plane + wine or if it was the vspro plugin but at random times trying to adjust the frequency it would crash.

Like I said I'm sure this isn't supported but if anyone has some extra time and would like me to pursue this further I'm happy to try.

By the way any chance of a linux native plugin?
Keith Smith

Re: Linux+Wine not too stable :/

Post by Keith Smith »

Hi there,

As you suspect, that's not a configuration which we're going to rush to support, HOWEVER, a Linux build is planned and should not be too hard to swing.
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Ahh very nice, my linux box has much more power than the macbook pro. The latter isn't much fun anymore.

For what it's worth I seemed to be getting crashes by changing frequencies on the linux+wine config. Running it without logging into pilotedge didn't give me any problems, just in case that may prompt some idea of what it might be. The idea seems tantalizing close!

Jeffrey
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jeffrey,

The prospect of running X-Plane, which is CPU/video intensive, to say the least, under EMULATION, seems like an invitation for sub-par performance compared to native operation. I'll try that linux build asap while I'm working on the new Mac build.

Keith
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Oh absolutely, just imagine how I feel, It runs great with wine, can't wait to try native. Thanks let me know as soon as you have something. I'd love to jump on that bandwagon!
jollyroger

Post by jollyroger »

Ok Keith where is that linux plugin :D you can't be "that" busy
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm going to take a crack at the Linux plugin this w/end along with the updated release for the Mac.