Start-Up Error "... unable to initiate..."

Donovan

Start-Up Error "... unable to initiate..."

Post by Donovan »

For a few days now, I have been unable to run PE on FS-2004. I am running on WinXP Pro.

I start up FS-9 normally, and attempt to start the PE client, I get the following message immediately "PilotEdge was unable to initiate a multiplayer session. Pilot Edge will not start." I have run DXDiag and no errors detected. I have searched the SB Help Forum and can't seem to get a handle on the problem, and its driving me nuts not to be able to fly online! I've double checked ports, software exceptions, etc -- but I hadn't changed anything that I'm aware of prior to this problem cropping up.

The sim works fine on offline flying. Virus scan, malware scans okay, etc.

I uninstalled PE, rebooted, then downloaded and re-installed the software & rebooted. The software reported that it (re-) installed successfully, but I'm stuck here scratching my head. The only other thing recently was some routine Microsoft updates, and some other dis-related software housecleaning.

Where do I go from here?

Don
Donovan

Re: Start-Up Error "... unable to initiate..." [SOLVED]

Post by Donovan »

Spent the better part of the day researching and debugging this issue. Apparently this isn't (or wasn't) an unheard of problem with Squawkbox users in the past years (the forum appears to be not active, but is a great source of information). My system is a bit antiquated, both hardware and operating system.

The DirectX wasn't an issue as the dxdiag tests showed.
I completely uninstalled my antivirus - no joy -- reinstalled with a fresh install. Rechecked and reworked Firewall ports, No joy.

From searching for "... Unable to Initiate Multiplayer Session..." in the SB forum (and Vatsim SB Help Forum) it appeared that the problems were commonly related to UpNp being enabled on the router. (I DO connect to Verizon FIOS via my landlord's wireless router) -- come to find out,just prior to my problems the router HAD been down and Verizon had been out to get the household back up)

Long story short -- I found the fix here, from a real-world pilot --> http://squawkbox.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2454
Basically disabling the SSDP Discovery Service, and the Universal Play and Plug List on my own computer, and not having to mess with the router, which my landlord was NOT to keen on. -- BINGO, we have a winner!!!! Problem solved and system working beautifully again.

Now, I have no idea how I changed those settings to create the problem in the first place, but I cannot tell you the HUGE Smile on my face when I COULD connect. (Maybe the problem just "unmasked" because of the new router possibly has UpNp enabled now, and didn't before -- I don't know.)

OF COURSE I instantly jumped on line, and had just enough time to fly from KCMA to KSBA before closing. <chuckle>

I just wanted to post a fix, should another FS2004 user run into the same stumbling block.

Don
dc8flightdeck

Re: Start-Up Error "... unable to initiate..."

Post by dc8flightdeck »

I have a PE client laptop that caused the server FS9 pc to crash. maybe this is why!

I installed the PE client on a different pc and it works with no problems. thats when I realized my laptop was the issue.

Thanks!
Justin
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Don, I forgot to thank you for posting this experience. We don't do a lot of FS2004 testing so it's hard to help with this. At some point, if time/money allow, you may want to consider to moving to a more recent platform. The multiplayer implementation in the FS2004 is pretty horrific, it's based on DirectPlay.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

Ahhh yess, "time and money," my two most over-used ways to rationalize any number of situations in life! :lol: Actually I have acquired most, but not all components for a new build that can run FSX or PD3d, but likely will need to be completed with the next tax return. I am biting at the bit to upgrade this system, and I'm sure the PE Controllers are just as anxious for me to arrive "out of the dark-ages" as well !!! The soon-to-be-dropped MS support for all things XP, is yet another reason to get this overdue upgrade built.

But in the interim, I have spent a reasonable amount of time and energy tuning up my current system, and hopefully have minimized (dare I hope, eliminated) dropped connections and multiplayer traffic issues. Of recent, I'm not aware of any dropped communications or traffic, or "falling off the scope" that have intermittently but not infrequently plagued my online flying.

Yes, I've certainly gained experience as the "crash-test dummy" on FS-2004 -- so I feel obliged to pass along anything I've actually solved that save others a bruise or two. :oops: