FS9 PE Client Brings up FSX PE Client (Stuck until resolved)

Calvin Waterbury

FS9 PE Client Brings up FSX PE Client (Stuck until resolved)

Post by Calvin Waterbury »

Hi,

After some days of banging my head trying to get connected to Pilotedge via my FS9 PE Client, I get the following every time on start up in a dialog...

PilotEdge was unable to establish a connection with a running copy of
Microsoft Flight Simulator. Flight Simulator must be running and have the
FSUIPC module installed in order for PilotEdge to operate correctly.

You are seeing this message because Flight Simulator is not running, or
there is a problem with the installation of FSUIPC. Please choose one of
the options below.

So, I choose the run anyway for FS9 (since I can't make heads or tails out of the error message) and receive this message when I try to connect...

FSUIPC Connect Error
You cannot connect without Flight Simulator running.
Confirm Flight Simulator is started.

...oddly I am sitting at the airport ramp *with* FS9 running.

I just noticed the client shows "PilotEdge for FIight Simulator X" in the Title Bar. What?!? I'm trying run the FS9 PE Client. How did FSX gent into the picture?? I'm totally stumped and I can't get passed this hurdle.

FYI - This same behavior still occurs even if I open the FS9 PE Client from the file location (not the shortcut).

Help please.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
wmburns

Re: FS9 PE Client Brings up FSX PE Client (Stuck until resol

Post by wmburns »

If you go to the PilotEdge short cut and right click properties, what is in the "Target" field? Would be nice to see this for both FS9 and FSX.

On my PC the target values are:

FS9: (path)\pilotedge_fs.exe
FSX; (path)\pilotedge_fsx.exe

Has the IP address of your PC changed?

Can you post your Simconnect.xml file?
Calvin Waterbury

wmburns wrote:If you go to the PilotEdge short cut and right click properties, what is in the "Target" field? Would be nice to see this for both FS9 and FSX.

On my PC the target values are:

Has the IP address of your PC changed?

Can you post your Simconnect.xml file?
I am not using a shortcut. I am executing the "pilotedge_fs.exe" directly. Do you still need the other information?

Since I'm not using FSX I don't believe there would be a Simconnect would there. FYI - is installed on my laptop, but I don't use it and I did not select FSX when installing FS9 PE Client.

Thanks for the help. :)
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Has this ever worked under Win8?

You didn't answer the question about change of IP address. Remember that sometimes the PC's IP address get copied into various configuration files. If the PC NIC card is configured via DHCP, it's possible for the IP address to change. Which in turn may then break the program to program "pipe" communication path.

What version of FSUIPC are you using? Does your set up run across multiple PC's? Can you post the FSUIPC.ini configuration file?
Last edited by wmburns on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calvin Waterbury

wmburns wrote:Has this ever worked under Win8?
No. This is the first time I have tried to use the FS9 PE Client on this computer.
You didn't answer the question about change of IP address. Remember that sometimes the PC's IP address get copied into various configuration files. If the PC NIC card is configured via DHCP, it's possible for the IP address to change. Which in turn may then brake the program to program "pipe" communication path.
My apology. It was an oversight as I don't really understand the question and I got lost in the details of the question. Where will I find what you are looking for? Can you give me a path to locate it please?
What version of FSUIPC are you using?
FSUIPC Version 3.999z9a
19th December 2013
Does your set up run across multiple PC's?
No. It is one laptop. See my signature block.
Can you post the FSUIPC.ini configuration file?
Sure. See *.zip attachment. Please note: This is not an archive zip file. I only changed the extension from "ini" to "zip." To read it just change the extension back to "ini."

FYI - I have all my installations located directly on "C:" which worked fine for Win7. Can this be a problem on Win8?

My main quandary is why would the double-clicking on the actual "pilotedge_fs.exe" file cause the "pilotedge_fsx.exe" to be executed?
Attachments
FSUIPC.zip
(4.12 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

Could you navigate to the PilotEdge directory and right click Properties on the following EXE's

Need to know the Size and created date for each. Trying to see if the data is the same which would indicate that the pilotedge_fs.exe has been over written by the pilotedge_fsx.exe.

Might also be nice to compare the dates and size to the same files on the PC that works.

Also perform a search on the entire HD to see if there's more than one copy of the pilotedge_fs.exe file on the PC.
Calvin Waterbury

wmburns,

Before we continue I would like to say "Thank you" for your astute assistance.

Be advised I took it upon myself to perform the following earlier today...
- Uninstall
- Delete remnant folder "C:\Pilotedge" (Found nothing in AppData
- Reboot
- Reinstall
- Test... Failed with same result.
- If this had been Win7 I would have gone into the registry, but I don't know Win8.1.

One odd thing I noticed is I chose *only* to install the FS9, but the install app installed FSX and P3D too.

Your requested data below...
wmburns wrote:Could you navigate to the PilotEdge directory and right click Properties on the following EXE's
784 KBs October 3, 2014 (Today)
765 KBs October 3, 2014(Today)
Need to know the Size and created date for each. Trying to see if the data is the same which would indicate that the pilotedge_fs.exe has been over written by the pilotedge_fsx.exe.
Comparing to Janevah's specs below, it does not look like there has been any overwriting.
Might also be nice to compare the dates and size to the same files on the PC that works.
I retrieved these from my daughter, Janevah's PC...
FS9 - 784 KBs June 24, 2012
FSX - 765 KBs June 24, 2012
Also perform a search on the entire HD to see if there's more than one copy of the pilotedge_fs.exe file on the PC.
I did find an additional FS9 and FSX execs located in 2 backup locations I use. I deleted them, but it had no remediation effect.

Standing by....
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Calvin,

I've verified that the title of the window is "PilotEdge for Flight Simulator X" even when running the FS9 version. I'll try to get that corrected. I do have reason to believe that it was attempting to talk to FS9 via FSUIPC, though, so it should be attempting to do the right thing.
Calvin Waterbury

Thanks Keith.

Okay then the next issue to be resolved is this message that pops up...

FSUIPC Connect Error
You cannot connect without Flight Simulator running.
Confirm Flight Simulator is started.

...even when FS9 is running.

Standing by...
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD
Calvin Waterbury

Hi Folks,

Unfortunately, other things have prevented me from trying to fly PE, but now I am back. I went to go try it again and was stopped by the same issue I have been having. Please help me try to get my FS9 to work with PE. FYI - I cannot use FSX as it will not run on this brand new laptop.

Thanks.
Windows 8.1 (64)
ASUS 17" Laptop
2.4 GHz I7-4700HQ CPU
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
1 TB HDD