Radio Problems

Ryan Landis

Re: Radio Problems

Post by Ryan Landis »

This may be totally unrelated and sound like a "is it plugged in?" kind of solution, but an issue I had was seeing the transmit light when I keyed the mic yet never get a response from ATC. Solution, run PE software as an administrator.
Ryan Landis
Twitch Account: http://www.twitch.tv/herkchief
"When you walk like an egyptian, its time to switch NAVs" - Socrates
BeechV35Pilot

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

BeechV35Pilot wrote:I am new to PE so I would need to defer to Keith or some other long-time customer to know what the IP address of the PE server is (I could fire up my PE client now and see what my router reports is the connection, but I am supposed to be working <g>).
I found it - you would use IP address 75.99.126.91 or 75.99.126.93, so the traceroute command at the command prompt would be: tracert 75.99.126.91 (or the second IP address listed)

Also I noticed from Netlimiter (the utility that tells me what IP addresses and ports are being used by software on my computer) that PilotEdge uses a few different ports. They are: tcp port 5559 and udp port 9987. Just speculation because it came up when the Squawkbox came up but 9987 may be the port used by PE's VoIP.

It may be worth looking to see if these ports are opened on your firewall, either at the router level or if you use a software firewall. Blocked ports can also cause problems with VoIP.
Regards,
Peter
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Muzz (Jerry), we debugged your issue fairly extensively and it appeared to be related to the slightly unusual configuration of your soundcard (using the stereo mix as the input rather than a mic input or line input). It's not something I'd seen before.

Beechpilot, traceroute is great for working out the number of hops, but if you have an INTERMITTENT latency issue, it's not going to accurately reflect that, unless you happen to run the traceroute/ping while the issue is occurring.

Les, I'll monitor your situation closely if you let me know when you'll be plugging in.

Keith
BeechV35Pilot

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

Keith Smith wrote:Beechpilot, traceroute is great for working out the number of hops, but if you have an INTERMITTENT latency issue, it's not going to accurately reflect that, unless you happen to run the traceroute/ping while the issue is occurring.
Bingo.
Regards,
Peter
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Hi Keith,

Per your request and in reference to my on-going PE radio problems, I will be departing a location within the Nellis MOA Ranges (NV) about 2200 UTC today; departing VFR, looking for a IFR pickup to KMHV exiting the ranges. This will be with N265RP, BE60. I will be attempting contact with ZLA (PE) on 124.62. If memory serves me, this is the correct frequency in that area.

Thanks in advance,

Les Parson
MervA

Post by MervA »

Yes I have had similar problems setting up the PE client at first, everything seemed ok but I could not hear a thing and most likely no ATC could hear me, I scratched my head for a couple of hours until I dawned on me from past SB and FSinn experience that my router will need ports to be opened, I already have ports for FSinn open but not for the PE client so did a router status check and came up with port 9987, and the voice comms worked after that, but you have listed port 5559 also, don't know what that's one's for.

Keith, if you are listening what ports does the PE client need open ?

Cheers
Merv
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7 9700K 4.9 Ghz | BeQuiet Fan Cooler |32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Nvidea GTX 2080 Ti 11GB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB x 2 | 2 x Acer XB280HK 28" 4K/2K G-Sync Monitor
MervA

Post by MervA »

Thank you !!
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7 9700K 4.9 Ghz | BeQuiet Fan Cooler |32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Nvidea GTX 2080 Ti 11GB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB x 2 | 2 x Acer XB280HK 28" 4K/2K G-Sync Monitor
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Update: these were changed in the Jun 2014 upgrade to 5558 for TCP and 9986 UDP for voice.