Radio Problems

Les Parson

Radio Problems

Post by Les Parson »

Have there been any problems reported with establishing radio contact with no issues logging onto the server? I have no trouble connecting to the server but have now been unable to contact anybody (GC, LC, SCT, etc) about three or four minutes after establishing initial contact. The Tx light is normal on the pilot edge client software with the 9.1 version, but soon thereafter I'm not able to connect with anybody which is extremely frustrating.
Keith Smith

Re: Radio Problems

Post by Keith Smith »

Sorry to hear it, not that I know of. What time, roughly?
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Around 1600-1700 P.
Alex Stjepanovic

Post by Alex Stjepanovic »

@KS: This could have been a shift change bug. A number of people were tuned/swapping on local when Les was holding short.
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

I continue to have major transmission problems on all frequencies. I was one of the very first subscribers to PE and now it appears I will likely be forced to cancel my subscription. I never had a problem until recently and can't figure it out why I have transmission troubles. This is with client 9.1 on FSX and a green light on the indicator. The latest case was with N77CP, C210, IFR KCMA-KTRM. I did make intermittent contact with ZLA, but lost contact after about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, my real-world airline ATC position forces me to constantly travel with only one free day per week, so time is extremely limited to test.

i'll take any and all suggestions to fix the problem.

Les Parson
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Les,

If this was a system wide problem or common occurrence, we would hear about it all the time.

The only thing I can think of is an inconsistent net connection, causing you to lose your connection to the voice server.

I will see what I can do about handling this event in the software, but it is non trivial at first glance.

What kind of connection are you on?

If this does happen again, disconnect then reconnect. Let me know if voice works after reconnecting. If so, it's a connectivity issue, if not, then something else local.

Keith
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Les,

I think I know what I can do in the pilot client to trap and alert the user of this case. I do want to make the software as bullet proof as possible.

My point above wasn't meant to imply I didn't want to get to the bottom of the problem, only that we haven't needed a solution in the past because it hasn't been a general problem.

Keith
Les Parson

Post by Les Parson »

Ok, thanks very much for your efforts. I'll test it again as soon as I'm able, however it will be towards the end of the week.
BeechV35Pilot

Post by BeechV35Pilot »

Another possibility to consider: In many cases problems with VoIP could be the result of poor latency (either permanent or temporary) from your home to the server.

Les, who is your Internet provider? Cable companies as Internet providers often have a network architecture that results in several homes sharing the same bandwidth, so if little Johnny at one home and little Debbie at another home decide to kick off bittorrent software at the same time that shares their entire Blu-Ray library, it will negatively affect other customers in the area who also use the same drop.

One way to test your connection to the Pilot Edge server is to run a command called tracert (traceroute) that will give you the number of "hops" from your home to the server in question, as well as the latency or ping response of each hop along the way.

If you are running a flavor of Windows, you would open a command prompt and type: tracert {ip address}

where {ip address} would be the ip address of the server in question, which in this case would be the server hosting the PE connection. Something like "tracert 72.123.43.1

I am new to PE so I would need to defer to Keith or some other long-time customer to know what the IP address of the PE server is (I could fire up my PE client now and see what my router reports is the connection, but I am supposed to be working <g>). If you have a chance to do this but are unsure of the results, post them here and someone could interpret.
Regards,
Peter
muzz

Post by muzz »

Keith - as you may remember, I have had severe communication problems with PE. I have been on VATSIM, using FSINN the past couple of weeks and have noted almost no problems with the voice option. Even tho the recordings show no problems on your end, I have to believe that there must be something going on if others are having my problems. I will fly some this weekend at ZOA to see if the situation has improved.