Getting a "side-by-side configuration" Error

Keith Smith

Re: Getting a "side-by-side configuration" Error

Post by Keith Smith »

Oh yes, the previous links were for sp2 simconnect. we don't use that as of the current build, for redbird compatibility, since it uses fsx sp1.
Firstinflight

Post by Firstinflight »

Okay, thanks much.
I liked the PE Service a lot. Would be very diappointed to not be able to use it.

In fact, i had called some friends over to come and experience it.
Its a pity it didnt work. :-(

Regards,
CPJ
Firstinflight

Post by Firstinflight »

Keith Smith wrote:Oh yes, the previous links were for sp2 simconnect. we don't use that as of the current build, for redbird compatibility, since it uses fsx sp1.
So should i reinstall FSX SDK and then only apply SP1A to it?

But I am running FSX SP2 (Acceleration Pack) on my FSX machine - would that be a problem?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You could do that, it should work. It is fine for the fsx installation to be newer, it just can't be older.
Firstinflight

Post by Firstinflight »

Well another 4 hours - reinstalling the basic SDK and patching it to SP1A did not help.
I dont think it has anything to do with SimConnect at all because earlier when i put it on the latest version of SimConnect and was able to get the AI traffic client to return the result - PE did not work.

Reversing our path back to an earlier version of the SDK didnt do it either. There is something else it is missing.

I tried another WIn7 PC - fresh install - it still didnt work.

I am done with this. Thought i would at least put in an update here.

Thanks for your responses.

regards,
CPJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'm sorry to hear that you spent so much time on it. If you'd like me to take a look at this today with you through screen sharing, let me know. Otherwise, if you can run PE on the same machine as FSX, it's easier, and as I stated before, there no advantage that I can think of in having PE run on a separate machine to FSX.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Here's SimConnect 61242.zip (originally from FSX SP1), the version required by the current build of the PilotEdge client.
Firstinflight

Post by Firstinflight »

Just returned from a trip.
Spent some time this morning doing this a different way.

I used a tool by Kenny Karr (mentioned on a blog called OJ's Rants in a post dedicated to solving Side by Side Errors).
I used it to find out if it was purely finding the 61242 version file or something more.

It was indeed finding the 61242 file. All of my google searches for that file didn't help.

I then did something different -
Installed SDK from Disk 1
Then ran SP1a from the acceleration pack DVD or you could download it from one of the sites like fsinsider.com.
In that SDK folder on your computer, look for the simconnect sub folder. In that folder the SimConnect.msi file is actually the 61242 version. Can't tell you my happiness at finding a file.... :-)
There is NO need to proceed with installing the SP2 on the SDK.

Now, when you install pilot edge, it may force you to click on the SimConnect installer (otherwise the 'Next' button does not come available). If you have already installed PE before running that SImConnect.msi in the SDK folder, then you are fine. If not, please re-run the SDK version of the SimConnect.msi.

To ensure that everything is fine - go to programs in control panel and ensure that the version of SimConnect you have installed is actually 61242.

If you are not on Win7, you may not see the version in Programs in Contol Panel. In that case, go to the WinSxS folder under Windows and ensure you have the correct file.

Can't believe I spent so much time trying to get this right. Glad it is done.
The brighter side of it - now I know more about WinSXS than I ever knew before...

Regards,
CPJ
Firstinflight

Post by Firstinflight »

Keith -
I didn't see your response today before I wrote my post.
Thanks so much for providing the Zip file. As you can tell from my post, I was able to resolve it.

Its a pity I couldn't show it to my friends on Saturday... In any case it's working now.

Thanks very much.

Best regards,
CPJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

CPJ,

I'm sorry you did so much of the heavy lifting, that wasn't my intention. Consider yourself a member of the PE support time now :)