**PE client crash update** (FIXED)

Keith Smith

**PE client crash update** (FIXED)

Post by Keith Smith »

We are making some progress with this issue. It appears to be the presence of unrecognized or blank aircraft ICAO codes that appear to be causing the problem. Why this is SUDDENLY a problem, I'm not sure, but two tests with a blank or unrecognized code (both from a nearby X-Plane client) instantly cause the crash.

Reducing mutiplayer visibility reduces the chances of having one of these troublesome aircraft within your range, but doesn't fundamentally solve the issue.

Now that we have something solid and something I can reproduce on my machine, I'm going to look into it right now.
Keith Smith

Re: **PE client crash update**

Post by Keith Smith »

I have found the cause, definitively. Fixing now, will post when fixed. It's a server-side issue, won't require a client update.
Keith Smith

Re: **PE client crash update**

Post by Keith Smith »

fixed!

The FS9/X PilotEdge client tries to make a call to our web server when it encounters another aircraft that we don't have a mapping for. I neglected to remember this when we migrated servers just before Sandy. The new web server didn't have the script that was being called, something that was not handled well by the pilot client, causing the crash.

This was ultimately caused by a hasty server migration of the web infrastructure prior to Sandy. When we moved things back to the office as a temporary workaround, I failed to realize that a tiny piece of the web infrastructure was still running at the new location, that's why I didn't suspect this as an issue. One good thing to come of this is that I was able to build a genuine debug version of the client that will allow me to find errors faster in the future, not that I anticipate any! It was the debug version that lead me to the line of code that was failing.

Sorry for the trouble, but we have nailed this one shut. Normality is restored.

Everyone who has reduced their multiplayer visibility can restore it to the normal setting again.
TexFly

Re: **PE client crash update** (FIXED)

Post by TexFly »

YEAH!

Thanks Keith, I started getting pretty P.O. :o when, after setting everything up, the system was kicking me out!

I'm very glad it is fixed.

Happy Thanksgiving...BTW is PE open tomorrow?
Last edited by TexFly on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Alex, if we were closed, it would be published on the operating hours page where it shows the days that we are closed. We are open.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

We are open.
If the on-duty controllers are working within the ZLA confines we can help them celebrate the day by flying over and dropping food on them from time to time. This will take considerable planning, of course: it simply wouldn't do to drop the gravy bomb before the mash potato bomb, for example. We'd never get a good write-up from Martha Stewart if we screwed up something as simple as that.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Mark, great idea. I'm loading my Duke B60 with fried turkeys ready for this evening!!!
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Firstinflight

Post by Firstinflight »

The problem appears to have come back.
Sunday - Dec 9 - since about 4pm Central time,
Each time I loaded up PE Client, it would stay up for a few minutes and go into a hung state.

I tried to use the client multiple times first suspecting it was something on my side. Rebooted all of the PCs including the PE Client PC. The PE client hangs sometimes within 10 mins of starting up the software.

Tried till about 10pm Sunday night and each time, the client would hang within varying intervals. It finally stayed up for about 15 mins around 10:30p - i confirmed with KLAS Clearance Del and then logged off for the day.

Monday - Dec 10 - 9:30PM Central Time.
Started everything fresh. IFR - KLAS-KSNA. Was about 30 miles from KSNA, i heard the controller voice come through garbled saying radar contact lost and then I see that my PTT wouldn't work either. The PE Client had gone into a hung state again.

Logged off for the day - came upstairs to report it.

Regards,
CPJ
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'll look through the log to see if anyone else has had any issues staying connected. If you're having a stability issue, it's not because of the same issue that was affecting everyone before. That was a specific issue caused by a misconfiguration of the new web server after it was relocated.
Firstinflight

Post by Firstinflight »

Keith -
I am not implying that it is because of the same issue. I found an issue so i reported it.

All I was saying was that I experienced a stability issue and since I haven't changed anything on my side in over two months, I reported with some description of the problem. I am not sure what I said wrong in my post.

Forums are a strange place. If one opens a new thread, one is told that they are wasting time because there is already a thread open. When one tries to read through the posts and tries to maintain continuity, then you get this response.

Apologize for reporting the problem. Wont do it again.

CPJ