Transponder window overlayed on FSX causes screen-tearing

Mike133

Transponder window overlayed on FSX causes screen-tearing

Post by Mike133 »

I am currently enjoying my free-trial of PilotEdge and will probably end up paying to stay on-board, but I am having a big problem with the PE transponder window that appears in the corner of my FSX sim causing screen-tearing.

The problem goes like this:

Load FSX as I always have; get into simulation, I am parked at ramp, I look around with my TrackIR, it is clear there is no screen-tearing, all is well.
Open PilotEdge client, connect, PilotEdge transponder window overlay in the bottom right corner of my screen appears, I then experience terrible screen-tearing.
I go into PilotEdge client and turn off transponder window, screen-tearing remains until I restart FSX.

At first I thought it was my 3rd party frame-rate limiter causing problems, but when I launch without the limiter the same thing happens. I thought it might be nVidia's control panel vSync setting for FSX causing problems, but after playing around with that setting it isn't that either. Playing with FSX's internal frame-limiter doesn't affect the problem either.

If I didn't have X-Plane 10 as well, I wouldn't even consider paying for PilotEdge if I had to use it with FSX only and receive very bad screen-tearing. I am a student pilot and having the screen tear every time I look around is both a distraction and an annoyance. Like I said, luckily for me I can use PilotEdge's otherwise great service on XP10, but it seems to me that this screen-tearing problem might be a dealbreaker for many FSX-only users, assuming I'm not the only one experiencing this problem (and I may be, since I searched the forum and found no similar complaints).

Thanks for anyone's insight into this issue.
Orest Skrypuch

Re: Transponder window overlayed on FSX causes screen-tearin

Post by Orest Skrypuch »

I get the same problem, only IF I set the PE transponder window on a second monitor, which is running off the same computer that FSX is running. Latest nVidia drivers, 580 card, and tweaked with Inspector as per the PMDG suggestions.

I am running the PE (SB4) client on a second computer, linked in by WideFS.

* Orest
PP/ASEL/IR, Piper Dakota (PA28-236) C-FCPO
President & CEO, UVA, http://www.united-virtual.com
Mike133

Post by Mike133 »

I also have an nVidia card with the latest drivers. A 240 GTS (OEM). I will be getting a new ATi card from UPS tomorrow though, and I will let you guys know if I still get the issue with ATi.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Haven't seen that issue before, but there's a simple solution...turn off the PE transponder window. Instead, use the PE application itself to set the transponder mode.
Nick Warren

Post by Nick Warren »

Keith Smith wrote:Haven't seen that issue before, but there's a simple solution...turn off the PE transponder window. Instead, use the PE application itself to set the transponder mode.
Is it possible, or do you think we may get to a point where we just use the dial on the actual transponder of the aircraft to change the mode negating the need for either of the above two methods? I am not having the tearing issue, but the topic prompted the question.

Nick
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I have to refresh my memory on the code base for this, I'll get back to you.
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

Hey Keith,

While you do that please see if you can check the offsets!!! ...so we can finally use real buttons to change transponder mode!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
TexFly

Post by TexFly »

:lol: I never lost hope. I know you can do it!!!

It is the perfect Christmas gift to a loyal customer ;)
Alex (N705AT)
Check out my sim: http://www.createandsolve.com
Mike133

Post by Mike133 »

Keith Smith wrote:Haven't seen that issue before, but there's a simple solution...turn off the PE transponder window. Instead, use the PE application itself to set the transponder mode.
That is all well and good, but is it considered bad form on the PilotEdge network to pause the simulation so I can say, IDENT, as I was asked to do the other day for VFR flight-following?

I'm not against workarounds, but being new and all I wasn't sure if pausing the sim was frowned upon on the network, and I haven't paused while connected once yet.

Thanks