Audio To Headset Stopped Working

Mark Hargrove

Audio To Headset Stopped Working

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I have a soundcard that will permit two separate audio streams and have been using it since I first joined PE to set the speakers for external sounds and my headset for voice comms on FSX. Recently, it stopped working for PE voice comms. I have the Settings/Sound set correctly. ATIS flows to the headset, but PE comms do not -- they're still over the speakers. I've rebooted my PC a few times. I've reinstalled the PE client. Just for fun, I plugged in a different headset -- a USB-based one this time (which effectively creates another sound card). It has exactly the same symptoms -- I can route ATIS and FSX's ATC to the headset, but PE comms are still going to the speakers. The mic (in both cases; direct plugin headset and USB headset) works fine.

The one and only change that has happened was that I moved(reinstalled) Microsoft Flight Simulator from my C: drive to a larger E: drive. PE has been reinstalled since then as well. The PE client itself is working normally, except for where sound is routed.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what might be wrong? --or what I could try?

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
Keith Smith

Re: Audio To Headset Stopped Working

Post by Keith Smith »

The only way to get PE audio to the headset in FSX (right now, at least....this IS going to be easier in the future) is to set the Windows default playback device to the headset prior to starting PE. You can still route engine/ambient noise to the speakers by setting it within FSX.

Perhaps you are already doing this, but I don't see it in the original post, so I thought I'd check.
Mark Hargrove

Re: Audio To Headset Stopped Working

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Keith,

You nailed it. I don't know how it happened, but my speakers had somehow gone back to being the default audio device. After switching back to the headset, all is good again.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)