Saitek radio stack not working ( new please help)

JasonProctor

Saitek radio stack not working ( new please help)

Post by JasonProctor »

I stumbled on to the PilotEdge website and was thrilled with the possibility, I'm working on my IRF rating and would love to get this to work.

I set up my laptop and a newly acquired Siatek radio panel, I used SPAD drivers and everything was working fine , I then loaded the PilotEdge software and tried to launch msfx deluxe edition and the radio stack doesn't work (no lights) . I think that I read that a license had to be purchased for FSUIPC when saitek radio was used with PilotEdge. I'm really not sure though.

Please Please help I want this to work so badly! I called my local FBO and they want to see it in action so that they can incorporate it into their training program

Thanks

Jason

Ps I'm running on a HP ENVY laptop window 7 home edition
djrisc

Re: Saitek radio stack not working ( new please help)

Post by djrisc »

I'm assuming you are using FSX as you mention FSUIPC?

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
JasonProctor

Post by JasonProctor »

Brett. Sorry for not being clear. Yes I'm using MSFX deluxe edition .
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jason, it's nice to see another enthusiastic pilot here. I'm moving this to the FSX forum. PilotEdge simply reads com radio values from the sim. Whether those com radio values are set by hand or by a Saitek radio panel shouldn't be material. Are you positive that the presence of PilotEdge is stopping the panel from working? I haven't heard that reported before.

If you'd like to show this to your FBO, the simplest way would be to make use of the many HD videos that are available in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2321

I'd suggest the V-1 (busy pattern) or the I-3 (SNA-BUR with vectors for ILS RWY 8 into Burbank). Full screen, hi-def, should be just as good as running the sim. If they'd like to know more, please have them reach out to us via the Contact page on the web site.
JasonProctor

Post by JasonProctor »

Keith thanks for the quick response. I rebooted the machine and now I have the radio panel apparently working. I can't figure out how to make the radio transmit or receive . I am using the ch yoke and the saitek radio stack. Computer is running window 7 with msfx deluxe.

Can some one tell me what key assignments are associated with the TX and Rx within MSFX

Thanks for your patience

Jason
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jason, take your time and read the instructions on the web site for the PilotEdge application, you'll save yourself a lot of struggling. The Scroll Lock key is the default PTT key in PilotEdge. It's also mapped to a key in FSX, so you'll want to delete that mapping in FSX. Alternatively, you can map the PTT to another key. Go to PilotEdge->Start->Options->Voice and all will become clear.

You can use a third party mapping tool to trigger the selected key from your yoke, too, or the paid version of FSUIPC can trigger the PTT, too. All of that is explained in those instructions.

If you're stuck after that, let me know.
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Jason,

Welcome to PE!

I also use the Saitek panels (pretty much all of 'em -- and I have two radio panels) and there are definitely occasions where FSX and SPAD and Window 7 become unhappy with each other and the panels won't work. The first thing I try is quitting SPAD and then restarting it -- that solves the problem about 98% of the time. Very, very infrequenly I have to reboot to make things happy again (and I think when THAT happens it's a USB problem, not a SPAD/Saitek-specific problem). I have never seen the PE client interfere with panel operation.

-M.
Mark Hargrove
Longmont, CO
PE: N757SL (Cessna 182T 'Skylane'), N757SM (Cessna 337 'Skymaster'), N757BD (Beech Duke Turbine)
JasonProctor

Post by JasonProctor »

Mark , thanks for the advice , I was finally able to get the radios working. I have made myself a checklist that sequences what programs need to run in what order. I would love to figure out how to program the buttons on the ch yoke so that I didn't have to use a keyboard function. I have figured out that it involves a paid license of FSUIPC . As I stated in my previous post, im in the process of getting my IFR rating and this is a great training device.

After I learn how to assign the button using FSUIPC I need to figure out how to assign a GPS to the 10" touch screen monitor that I have ordered......

Any help and suggestions are very much appreciated
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Jason, the instructions on the site say:
If you’d like to map the Push to Talk feature to a button on the joystick or yoke, you can use FSUIPC to trigger the “Ptt Transmit On (rw Or Avc)” and “Ptt Transmit Off (rw Or Avc)” events
Here's a screenshot with the specifics of how to do that:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1975&p=12405
Piotr

Post by Piotr »

As for SPAD I configured it to shutdown when FSX quits. I never have problems when I start it each time with FSX.
Piotr Ratajczak
PE: RealAir Duke Turbine (N609PR), PMDG B737-800 (N738PR, LOTxxxx)