PilotEdge Not Responding Crash During Flight

utexgrad

PilotEdge Not Responding Crash During Flight

Post by utexgrad »

I have been trying to fly VFR from KNSA to KSBP for the past several days/nights. I am consistently into the flight about 15-17 minutes when I lose comms with SoCal Departure (I can hear them, they can't hear me). When I ALT-TAB over to the PilotEdge client, it shows a white screen with a Not Responding message in the title bar. The only way to shut it down is to kill it using Task Manager.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I do not have Defender or any other anti-virus program active while flying. The only app I have running is JoyToKey 5.2.1, which I use for mapping the Scroll Lock key to my PTT button on the yoke. I have tried disabling this and just using the Scroll Lock key with no success. I do have Windows updater running, but it's only set to install when I give the OK. The last installs I had were Defender definition updates on the 25th of January. The last non-Defender update I have is from January 8, which was a security update Microsoft put out.

I'm including my DxDiag file in case that will help. I will be happy to provide any other information you need. As a real-world pilot, I really, REALLY love your software and I'm hoping we can find a solution so I can use it more often. And yes, I would even love it if I wasn't a real-world pilot :)
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Keith Smith

Re: PilotEdge Not Responding Crash During Flight

Post by Keith Smith »

I wrote this in the other thread on this topic:
Try reducing your multiplayer vis down to 3 miles (as an example) and see if you have the issue. Some users' machines just don't like having a lot of AI aircraft in the system.
Did you give that a try?
utexgrad

Post by utexgrad »

I don't see a setting for that. Is that a setting on the FSX Settings page or is it something you manage from the config file?
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

Open the PilotEdge client, hit the Start button and then Options. In the dialog that pops up, open the Multiplayer tab. The first slider on the tab is "Range of planes added to the multiplayer session". Adjust this to 3 miles.

Good Luck!
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
utexgrad

Post by utexgrad »

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a shot.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thx for the assist, Reece, I need all the help I can get!
utexgrad

Post by utexgrad »

I tried reducing the Multiplayer Vis down to 3 and the PilotEdge client crashed in about 5 minutes. Is there anything else that could be causing this? I have a copy of Squawkbox installed, but it's not running. Could it be possible that it's causing some issues?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That's bizarre. Haven't had a report like this before other than when we had a misconfiguration on the web side of the house that affected one of the functions in the pilot client. Perhaps there is a firewall blocking a HTTP request from the PE client. To find out if that's the case, let's try having you parked somewhere where there are literally zero other aircraft.

Try parking at PANC, KORD, KMCO, something like that. Leave it for 20 mins and see you how you do. If that fixes it, then it would support my theory. I'll get rid of that http call if that's the case, it needs to go anyway.
utexgrad

Post by utexgrad »

Thanks, Keith. I'll give it a go and let you know the results.
utexgrad

Post by utexgrad »

Keith,

I went over to KORD and sat there for a good 20 minutes with no drop. After that, I went back to KSNA and let my plane sit there for about 15 minutes with no crash of the client. Full disclosure alert, I found the port forwarding settings in another post you replied to and plugged those into my router before this test.

I'm going to try again tomorrow to fly out of KSNA. Hopefully all the issues are resolved and I can quit bothering you :)