Other PE users' aircraft not visible

twharrell

Other PE users' aircraft not visible

Post by twharrell »

I have a strange issue I just noticed today. I can see the drones just fine but I cannot see other PE user's aircraft. For example, this evening I landed at KVNY and taxied to parking when I heard another user requesting taxi at the same airport (he was in a Gulfstream 4). I never saw his aircraft. It then dawned on me I had the same issue yesterday at KLAX. To make things stranger, I have not run into this issue in P3D.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Re: Other PE users' aircraft not visible

Post by Keith Smith »

this would happen if pe is trying to create a plane that you don't have installed in fsx.

by default we use a bunch of models we ship with, plus a lot of the stock fsx planes.

have you renamed or removed any of the stock planes?
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I'm an idiot. Only recently am I flying FSX to use the Flight 1 Mustang. Otherwise I almost exclusively use P3D. I completely forgot to copy the additional aircraft files from P3D to FSX. There was no Gulfsream IV folder in the FSX Simobject/Aircraft folder as there is in P3D. I don't know why I didn't think of that. :?

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Todd,

That isn't likely to be the issue. There isn't a GIV in FSX by default, therefore the configuration files we ship with out of the box won't be looking for such a model unless you have modified the mapping files.
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I edited the aircraft file by adding an G-IV, Beech 400, and Citation II I use for traffic when not flying with PE. The corrsponding aircraft folders were placed in my FSX/SimObjects/Aircraft folder.Will these aircraft models not be recognized by the PE client? If not, then what does PE use for a G-IV?

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Todd,

If you told took steps to tell PE about those planes, then it will attempt to use those specific models on your hard drive. If the models aren't there, you'll see nothing.

However, generally speaking, if you're running with the stock mappings and you have all the standard FSX aircraft installed, you won't run into the 'no aircraft' case because in the worst case scenario, if it knows nothing at all about the type of airplane being displayed, it'll at least show a 172.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

I'm having this exact same problem, only I haven't moved any folders around. :(

I have FSX with the latest updates, the A2A C172, and EZDock installed.

I've reinstalled everything and even tried recreating the FSX.CFG and still no luck.

Any ideas?
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
PE: Skyhawk C172 - N8979T
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

One thing to note, if I add the AI aircraft from FSX, they all show up normally.

I also confirmed in the FSX directory that the objects directories were there for the aircraft PE uses.

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
djrisc

Post by djrisc »

Disregard, I can see other planes they are just EXTREMELY hard to see during the day.

As much as I can tell, the drones don't have their lights on in FSX during the day on my system. Basically, without the tags on, it's pretty near impossible to spot them.

Flying at night like I did tonight during the Birthday Bash, I could see other pilots based on their lights, but I did notice that it's just the immediate area and they disappear after a few miles. (Anyone know of a way of extending the distance you can see other planes in FSX?)

Sorry for the false alarm!

Brett
Brett Johnson
Los Angeles, CA.
Jeff N

Post by Jeff N »

For what it's worth, I find it very difficult to spot traffic on PE as well, and I'm on X-Plane 10.