PTT button issue

twharrell

PTT button issue

Post by twharrell »

Strange issue. All of the sudden my PTT button isn't working. In fact, selecting Com1 or Com2 using the aircraft audio panel isn't working either. The Pilot Edge window is stuck in Comm2.

FSX is not being run as administrator. Neither is Opus, my weather engine, nor Pilot Edge. But, just to test, I ran both Opus and Pilot Edge as administrator and got the same results.

I even checked to see if it was my joystick button that was the culprit, by testing the mapped PTT key on my keyboard, and the keyboard button wasn't working either. I also double-checked to make sure the correct keyboard assignment was set in Pilot Edge, and I confirmed it is.

This problem was first encountered when preparing a flight in the Flight 1 Mustang this evening. Just to make sure it wasn't the aurcraft, I tried my Cessna 310 add-on and encountered the same issue.

In P3D, everything works great. So, I am at a complete loss, especially since my coms were working just fine 2 days ago. Nothing has changed since. Any help to troubleshoot this issue is enthusiastically welcomed!

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Re: PTT button issue

Post by Keith Smith »

Sorry Todd,

That sounds like a tricky one. Something is very broken if the kb based ptt is not working along with com selector. There is nothing that has changed at all?
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Nothing has changed. I might have to chalk it up to it just being FSX. X-Plane is starting to look very tempting.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

I just tried it again, and the Pilot Edge Window is stuck on Com2 despite my audio panel being set to Com1. And just to be clear, the Pilot Edge window opens with Com2 active. Is this normal? Both my assigned PTT button and assigned keyboard key still don't work. I don't get why something that worked fine just stops working.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Pieces

Post by Pieces »

For me, it defaults to Com2 when there isn't a radio active yet (i.e. the plane isn't on). It has also happened when FSX is failing to communicate with PE. I've never had any prolonged issues though. A restart always fixes it.
Reece Heinlein, PPL - IR, KMZZ
PilotEdge I-11
Alphabet Challenge
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

To quote the younger, hipper, texting generation of teens, "O.M.G!" I must be a complete idiot. So, here's a nice bit of trivia: in the Flight 1 Citation Mustang, the Avionics switch is supposedly a "dummy switch," meaning it doesn't do anything. It's clickable, but it doesn't do anything (and that is stated in the manual by the way). In fact, all avionics are powered on when the main battery switch is turned on (despite avionics switch being off). I don't know why they modeled it that way. I mean, how hard is it to.... never mind.

Well, guess what? That so-called "dummy switch" isn't that dumb because it needs to be in the on position for your PTT button to work in Pilot Edge (and I assume on any other controller network). How 'bout them apples? This whole time, I just unknowingly hadn't turned on the Avionics switch because, well, everything was on. I usually call for clearance and set up my flight plan before I start my engines. Mind you, everything in the cockpit is humming along just fine whether the avionics switch is on or off. Moral of the story - be skeptical when a switch is labelled a dummy switch by the developer. I need a beer.

Todd
Regards,

Todd
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

I'd ruled out the possibility of this being aircraft-specific because you said you had the same experience in the C310. Is there an avionics switch in the C310 as well?
twharrell

Post by twharrell »

Yes, there is an avionics switch in the C310, and it has to be on for the PTT to work, too. But, both Garmin GPS units come on when the battery master is turned on, and they have the coms integrated like the G1000. The rest of the radios have to be turned on with the Avionics switch. I never started the aircraft during my trouble-shooting, so I must have never turned on the avionics master in the C310 either. The whole Mustang dummy switch had thrown me off so much I must have caught tunnel vision. Now, I am just making excuses. :oops:
Regards,

Todd