Error Starting Pilotedge

rogers55

Error Starting Pilotedge

Post by rogers55 »

I get the following error when starting PilotEdge. "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."
The error message title bar references file pilotedge_fsx.exe.
This is a new install on a new copy of Windows XP SP3 with FSX SP2.
I uninstalled P.E. and deleted the program directory. Reinstalled, with no startups running,same error.
FSX works ok.
Any ideas?
Donovan

Re: Error Starting Pilotedge

Post by Donovan »

You might check that your MS Visual C++ Redistributable Package is updated and correctly installed. That is a common source of that particular error message on a wide range of programs written in Visual C++, particularly on WinXP machines.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5555
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Thanks for posting that, Donovan, I hadn't come across that particular error before. I was going to start searching for root causes, so your post was very helpful.
rogers55

Post by rogers55 »

I already had Visual C++ installed so I uninstalled and reinstalled it. Still get the same error.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Verify it's the Visual C++ 2010 libraries that you reinstalled?
rogers55

Post by rogers55 »

I have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.30319.
Also have two versions of the 2005 Redistributable, 8.0.50727.42, and 8.0.56336.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

The other thing that I've seen give the error is not having the required .NET Framework installation, and you might take a look at that, and install any versions you are missing.

Don
rogers55

Post by rogers55 »

Donovan wrote:The other thing that I've seen give the error is not having the required .NET Framework installation, and you might take a look at that, and install any versions you are missing.

Don
I have .net 2.0 SP2, 3.2 SP2, 3.5 SP1, and 4. There are no further updates for Windows XP.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Very odd, we have lots of commercial customers using Windows XP without any issue.

Grab 'depends' (the Dependency Walker): http://www.dependencywalker.com/, run it against the PE executable and let me know if there are any dependencies that aren't being resolved.

This the last thing I can think of to get this going.
wmburns

Post by wmburns »

I had an experience re-installing PDMG JS41 during a new PC build that may apply here. The installer should have prompted to install any unresolved dependencies, but was not. What I found that if the package was installed under a "standard user" account, the branch to install dependency would fail. The install job would work fine if it was started using the "run as an administrator" option.

Could this be the same problem? IE, run the installer as an "administrator"?