PE simconnect docs

dental1

PE simconnect docs

Post by dental1 »

Hi
Has pilot edge come out with their own documentation for configuring the PE client on 2nd pc using sim connect
Thx lee
Keith Smith

Re: PE simconnect docs

Post by Keith Smith »

Negative, it's normally something we only implement in commercial configurations. If home users want to set it up, they're welcome to. The procedure is not really specific to PilotEdge. It's entirely related to FSX and SimConnect configuration. PilotEdge itself is just another SimConnect client.

Given that most PC's are multi-core these days, I'm still not sure what the advantage would be to running FSX and PE on separate boxes, given the hassle of setting it up. Additionally, the ability of the PE client to move aircraft on the screen is hampered by the introduction of separate machines since we wait to be notified about the screen being refreshed prior to moving targets on the screen. When that's all happening on one machine, there is no latency. When you add the SimConnect overhead of running through the network, the traffic doesn't animate as smoothly. This isn't an issue with the original Squawkbox because it animates aircraft at a fixed interval rather than being based on screen refreshes.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Lee, Keith's comments notwithstanding, if you get it working, please let us know the detailed steps. I understand what Keith is saying, but I would like the option, based on using it that way on VatSim. There was some discussion on here once before that I found, but I couldn't get it working on PE. Regards, Kim.
Kim Ellis

Post by Kim Ellis »

Wonders never cease, got it working, and it is great. The load off the FS machine is probably detectable, but the improvement in comms is very noticeable.

The trick, follow these instructions http://support.hifitechinc.com/Knowledg ... simconnect, without fail. In particular, do the install of the SDK perfectly, and when you install SDK SP1A as per the instructions and it deletes what you have done, don't give up, just do what it says.