No traffic until PE client reconnect

Cyrus

No traffic until PE client reconnect

Post by Cyrus »

While flying some closed traffic at SNA last night, there was another guy in the pattern with me. We could both see the drones, but we could not see one another.

Working through the controller, we both checked to ensure our lights were on, but to no avail (does toggling the aircraft lights actually have the potential to show/hide the traffic - programmatically speaking - or were we just being asked to do this with the assumption that we might be more visible to one another?)

Anyway, I finally just disconnected my PE Client, and then immediately reconnected it (without even closing and reopening the app)... and voila! There he was.

So chalk it up to a memory leak or some such mystery, or is there some funky setting that I should verify?
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Frank Pate

Re: No traffic until PE client reconnect

Post by Frank Pate »

Hi Cyrus,

I was the guy flying with you. I do know on Vatsim that when I dont see taffic on the ramp knowing that they are their communicating and taxiing, pausing and unpausing the FSX will clear the problem. The aircraft will "pop up" online.

Don't know if this was our problem. You disconnected and I did the pause / unpause thing. Just wanted to toss in another variable should it happen to anyone else.

BTW: It was my first flight on PE and after getting the cobwebs... or should I say cotton balls out of my mouth and ears, I had a blast! Thanks for hanging around to fly the pattern with me and cudos to the controllers! They certainly had some patience with me as I settled in.

Best Regards,

Frank
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Cheers, Frank.

First thing I did was check my "Multiplayer" settings in the PE client - to make sure the range was suitable and the updates were reasonable. I usually go with 10 miles and 3 updates per second (unless I'm in a group fly-out, then I might need to extend the range and reduce the update frequency). Everything was fine there, so then I just tried logging back onto PE. Obviously, though, I would prefer a one-second pause/unpause over a disconnect/reconnect (although maybe not in a jet at 500kts, because one second would be an eighth of a mile - which ATC might notice! :o ). So, anyway, I'll try that next time. Thanks.

Always nice to see a new face. IMO, you did very well for your first time on. I've heard some very "entertaining" first few flights during my relatively short time on PE (including my own!). On the way to work this morning, I listened to the recordings of last night and you should be very happy with your performance (click here and listen to "21:00 - ZLA Ground (3.64 MB)" starting at 0:15, and then over on the Tower recording for the actual pattern work).

I'll PM you about the virtues of the no-additional-cost PE training program and the fantastic workshop recordings. You're really going to love it here... and, if you're like the rest of us, you'll wish you had discovered PE earlier. The quality of the service, the rate at which your learning will accelerate, and the sheer fun of it all will soon make you forget about any other networks. Yes, it's that good.
-Cyrus Kapadia. A few RW hours in a C172, then a 15 year hiatus. Joined PE in Dec'12, then took a break. Now I'm back, learning fast and loving it. If I'm on, it's usually between 22h and midnight EST with Baron 258E, Skyhawk 176CM or Learjet 66L.
Luc4000

Post by Luc4000 »

I have trouble seeing other pilots as well but the drones are visible . Have the top 3 default aircraft on the client. Really strange.