Can't get COMs to work?

Salty60

Can't get COMs to work?

Post by Salty60 »

I'm a new pilot in training. I signed up for the trial period today. It seems that I have been able to log onto the server and I have the COM menu showing with COM1 showing green. I tried the preliminary flight from Oceano to San Luis Obispo. I use the "scroll" button for PTT. When I speak, the transmit button lights up but I get no response from San Luis Tower. I can hear ATCs making various responses, but they are from Las Vegas or John Wayne, not from San Luis. Yes, my frequencies were correct and inputted correctly. I've checked the forum and my FSX is started normally and not as administrator. I also do not hear any responses from pilots, just the various ATCs out there. I am also not seeing any drone aircraft or even other aircraft piloted by people on the server. I am not sure what to do next but right now I am at a standstill. Any help is appreciated.
Keith Smith

Re: Can't get COMs to work?

Post by Keith Smith »

Is your headset/microphone the default recording device?

You can check if you are transmitting anything by launching the PilotEdge Receiver during ATC operating hours, 8am-11pm Pacific, and tune to one of the ground or tower frequencies. Make sure all the boxes are checked on the receiver.

You might be transmitting 'dead air' if your headset/mic isn't the default recording device, or if the device is muted.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Regarding not being able to see any of the planes, that would occur if you don't have the default FSX aircraft installed. The mapping files that we include in the client assume that you have the stock aircraft installed. If that's not the case, then you should remove \program files (x86)\PilotEdge\aircraft\pe.smx (or rename it to pe.bak). That way, it will fall back to using a lower quality model set ('vip' and 'sb' model sets) that is shipped with the application.
Salty60

Post by Salty60 »

Keith,

Thanks very much for the response. I verified that my headset mike was default for recording also and tried this time at Long Beach. I verified I was transmitting and Ground heard me and confirmed. I then switched to San Luis and they also heard me so that probably was the issue.

As for not seeing any drones or human piloted aircraft: I have all the default FSX aircraft loaded, plus a lot of third party aircraft. My first attempt, I was using the A2A C172. It's possible that at that time at San Luis Obispo, no other aircraft were flying, at least human piloted aircraft. I'm not sure about drones? Are there any issues using third party aircraft?
Salty60

Post by Salty60 »

Could someone give me a more detailed explanation about how the Plane Sets work? Especially with regard to setting your own plane up in Pilot Edge, i.e. inputting my own A2A C172 model? Does the list of aircraft in the pull down menu constitute the plane set that Pilot Edge uses to render the drones and human piloted aircraft you see in Pilot Edge? Can you add to this plane set, additional third party aircraft, so that they also render in Pilot Edge?
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The planes in the drop down are not relevant. If you'd like to customize the models that are used to render aircraft, you should edit the pe.smx file in the PilotEdge\aircraft folder.

The format is aircraft_title [whitespace] ICAO_code

If the FSX aircraft tile (taken from the aircraft.cfg file) has spaces in it, you need to replace the spaces with + signs. See the existing file for examples.
Salty60

Post by Salty60 »

Keith,

Thanks very much for your help. I have been able to resolve the com issue with my mike not being setup as the default device for recording. That solved the problem. Also, I am now able to see other aircraft. Last night I flew in the pattern at San Luis Obispo and there were at least five or six aircraft in the pattern with several more on approach. It was a great learning experience for me as a novice pilot taking real time direction from ATC as he coordinated all these aircraft. Very immersive for me and a great way to get past the nervousness of speaking on the net with the ATC. It was helpful to hear other pilots communicate and realize that we are all trying to improve or gain greater facility in our communications. That helps to overcome the nervousness and allows one to just plunge in.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

You're welcome, glad it worked out. If you'd like to listen to the flow of communications on the network, the most efficient way would be to listen to the hourly/daily recordings, http://pilotedge.net/audio. If you click the previous day on the calendar, you'll see daily recordings for several positions. There is a great deal that can be learned by listening to these recordings as they capture end to end flights, so you get to hear all phases of flight.