PE FSX Install Question

Kevin_atc

PE FSX Install Question

Post by Kevin_atc »

I've gone through the steps again and I think I followed them all. However when I double click squawkbox_pe_fsx.exe in my squawkbox directory, it says

"C:\Program Files (x86)\SquawkBox\squawkbox_pe_fsx.exe
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuation is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

This is for FSX, Any ideas? I haven't tried it on FS9 yet.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Re: PE FSX Install Question

Post by Keith Smith »

Don't try FS9, it will not work, I can promise you that. The current client is FSX only.

I don't know what that error message means, I'll do some digging to see if it's coming from the app, or from windows.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

The error is coming from Windows, and it means that the app is having trouble finding the required DLL's, or the right versions of the DLL's.

The ZIP that we provide contains all of the required DLL's _as far as I know_.

So, one of two things is going on:
1) the PE files were not copied correctly, and/or files from the SB4 were not removed that should've been removed
OR
2) there are incompatible versions of the DLL's already loaded up by another application.

To find out which of the two might be going on, try closing all other open applications and then start the app WITHOUT FSX running. You will NOT be able to connect to PE, but it will still be helpful. If it's still a no-go, then take a screen shot of the contents of the Squawkbox folder and attach/embed in a reply to this thread. Make sure it's a detailed view with file sizes and timestamps.

Thanks.
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Still no joy :(
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Want faster answers to your forum questions? Join our Discord community: www.pilotedge.net/discord
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

That looks like a perfect install, Kevin. So, that rules out possibility #1.

Did you try #2?
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

Yeah, I rebooted and the first thing I did was open up that squawkbox folder and double click the squawkbox_pe_fsx.exe but still the same error.
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Ok thanks. Next step is to use a debugging tool to find out what it's looking for.

I will get back to you.
Keith Smith

Post by Keith Smith »

Kevin,

Since you're the only one reporting this so far, I'm going to assume it's a relatively rare local issue. I'm going to get the FS9 client tested (testing right now, having some odd connection issue) and will then get back to this. I know you can fly xplane in the mean time :)
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

No worries man, I prefer FS9 to FSX anyways to just make sure that one works ;)
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing
Kevin_atc

Post by Kevin_atc »

As I was doing some work this morning, a random thought came into my head and I remembered that there are service packs for FSX. I have been flying FS9 for the past year and a half or so and FSX was not even installed. So when the PE client for FSX came out, I was so eager to connect that I installed FSX and just went at it. Well, it turns out that my error was due to the fact that I didn't have SP1 or SP2 installed. I just installed both of those for FSX and PE FSX client works fine now. Sorry bout that :oops:
Kevin
PilotEdge Marketing